1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax release the 15-30

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

Not sure when this was announced, but it is the first I have seen of it. from the review I saw it looks like a real cracker, but it is pricey as nearly £1500.

I wonder if the price may drop over time?

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It's been around since the launch of the K-1. It does look good, it is the Tamron 15-30 with Pentax coatings etc. Same class as the Nikon 14-24. Whilst the K-1 is a very good price and I wouldn't expect it to fall much I would expect the lenses to come down. Around the £1,000 mark would be very tempting.

3. Monobod

Update on my lens testing. The K-1 works a treat with my 70-210 F/4 one touch manual focus zoom. Using 'catch in focus' with the slide/twist barrel it is a doddle to get a sharp image. Being a full frame (Film era) lens, the results are very good at full resolution. It is great to be able to use these much loved lenses at the focal length they are intended to be used at. I had been tempted, slightly, by the Nikon D810, but the cost of getting three or so lenses was a no go.

I am so pleased that I waited. The K-1 is just superb and being able to use older lenses has saved me a small fortune. Also, a friend, who is a keen bird photographer is quite disappointed with his D800E, which has had to be returned with a focus problem.

The feature set of the K-1 is just incredible for the money.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I've heard really good things about the Tamron 15-30/2.8 lens, David, and, as mentioned above, the Pentax/Ricoh 15-30/2.8 lens is
    based on this lens, I suspect, you would be very pleased with the lens :) However, whilst Digital Cameras will always, eventually,
    drop in price, Lenses, rarely drop as drastically in price over time and, IMHO, the best that one can hope for is a rebate on the lens
    and, ideally/hopefully, somewhere in Canon's normal rebate range ;)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

If you're looking for an inexpensive (relatively speaking) alternative … there are two Sigma lenses on the following LCE page :)

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...&SHType=Lenses&Location=&Results=24&showfit=1

And, if you can sus one out, I remember that the Pentax lens, FA 20-35/4 was quite a cracker :)

Cheers,

Jack

6. Monobod

If the Pentax 15-30 is a Tamron in disguise, why is it £1500 when the Tamron is, on average, half the price? Someone is trying it on surely? Is this the Epson philosophy, sell the printers cheap and make the money on the ink? I suppose this also means that Tamron will not be releasing their own lens for the K-1. I wonder what Sigma will do?

7. Ffolrord

You get Pentax coatings and weather sealing. But the glass is the same. The lens will come down in price, there will be special offers. It always happens. Personally I am very satisfied with the current pricing strategy. The K-1 is a very good price indeed - just compare it to the Nikon D810. The manufacturer has to make its margins somewhere and Pentax has chosen to try and earn the greater margins through lenses. I'd rather it that way. Body prices come down but with the K-1 launch price so competitive I can't imagine it coming down much and quickly, whereas lenses fluctuate more allowing you to pick your moment.

8. Monobod

Yes, better to establish a good following for the K-1 by selling it at such a good price. Considering how well it performs with legacy lenses and the feature set (WiFi, GPS etc) it is remarkable. I have friends who are dumping Canon gear and moving to Pentax. Not just for the price, but for the quality too.

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Re: Tamron vs Pentax pricing …… probably the same reason that the Pentax 18-270 lens came out more (much?) expensive
    than the Tamron 18-270 lens, albeit in a Nikon/Canon mount ;) I would like to see Tarmon come out with a 15-30 lens for
    Pentax but, I think and IMHO, they would be shooting themselves in the foot and, as for Sigma, only time will tell!

Cheers,

jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Good points, Adrian, and with Nikon just having a serious price hike on April 1st (in Canada at least), with the D810 going up
    just under $500 CDN :eek: :eek: …… it definitely makes the K-1 seem like (more of) a bargain :)

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

I just wish Pentax would smarten up the Silkypix software, or that Adobe would fully support Pixel Shift with Motion Correction. Both would be even better. This shortcoming may hold back sales a little.

12. Ffolrord

I don't think the freebie Silkypix will be that much of an issue, I don't know many who use it.

13. Monobod

It will be if it is all that supports the feature surely. Adobe do not seem to be interested. Not enough volume probably to justify the work.