1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax Q - £99 - should i/ shouldn't i?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/9104/Pentax-Q-Black-Body---SALE-.html

I know all the arguments about the small sensor etc, and I don't really need a new compact camera as my ex1 still serves me well (and I think I might miss the articulated screen if I got rid of it), but the Q has always intrigued me and at £99 for a new body what harm could it do... ?

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

At that price, it's a steal, but the lenses are relatively dear IMHO. However, you can get very cheap, very fast C mount lenses and adaptors, which could be fun.

3. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Holy expletive deleted, Jerry, are you nuts:eek:? Of course, you should jump on it. Then, after the fact, decide what lenses you might want to acquire? I, initially, got the Prime and the Fisheye and, then, O2 (wide-angle) and, recently(ish), the O6 Tele lens which, incidentally, has only been off my Q once in the past 4 months :eek: :)

Cheers,

jack

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

But you can't get the prime on its own, so not ideal really. If there was a non-toy wide, it'd be in my basket but much fun as the fisheye would be, I just can't justify it. Still, get the body plus zoom lens and add the tele zoom and you undercut the Q10 double zoom kit. Update the firmware to add the new features and you're laughing.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Zou,

Well, in theory and if Pentax-Ricoh UK is like Pentax-Ricoh Canada, the Standard Prime is listed as a separate item in the Price Pages (o'er here,at least) and is, IMO, priced reasonably :)

And, FWIW, I would imagine that the folks (or one, at least) at SRS Microsystems should be able to get/quote you a price for the Prime Standard :)

And, I just received my 06 Tele Lens Hood :D

Cheers,

Jack

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My assumption was that these body-onlys are the result of them splitting kits to offer the 01 to customers. AFAIK the 01 is still not listed on its own over here. :(

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just when I thought it was safe to pick the discounted Q over the Q10, THIS crept up on me... Drat. Emailed for further details, awaiting the reply.

9. JerryNash

Oh no, I was hoping no one would post a link to this! Any if the metal colours for the body go beautifully with the brown grip option (even those that clash IMO). I've just about reconciled myself to not purchasing a Q, despite wanting one, I really need to forget about a customised Q10!

10. JerryNash

Must admit my thoughts were along the same line, Zou. If I were to get the Q I would want it to be pocketable so without the prime the only other lens I would consider is the fish eye, but I think I'd be better off investing in better glass for my K30 than buying a - dare I say it - 'novelty' camera. It sure would be fun though...

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Treat yourself to a refurbed Olympus Trip 35 in a colourful skin instead! ;)

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well I emailed in the evening and had a full response by midday so great service there (better than the semi-literate response I had from Olympus a while back...).

Apparently you can configure on the website, and take the product codes to any Pentax dealer to order and pay. Price is the same as for the standard colours, RRP £399.99 for Q10 and 5-15mm lens. Delivery is approx 5 weeks. Some dealers may have a small stock of what are anticipated to be popular combinations but this cannot be guaranteed.

K-30 is now available in eight colours in the UK. Some of these are starting to appear on dealer websites, but I found them scarce. They seem to be kitted with the 18-55 DAL lens at around £560, which is a shame. I'd want it either body-only or with the 18-135mm WR...

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Irxps wht* gr blid nad griml win at blah funge%s neirt! :eek:

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Your take is less in line with accepted language but equal in usefulness to the reply I got. Sad really. I had asked if they could let me know to which retailers in Edinburgh they would be supplying the XZ-2 as Jessops, Currys, Calumet etc all weren't carrying it (as in it wasn't even listed as a product, rather than being listed as out of stock). That question went unanswered but I did learn that there had been supply issues and they hoped to have the stock to distribute in early December. Last time I looked there were still no local shops carrying that model. That's one of the main reasons I'm now looking at something bigger, either K-30 which although not available locally I have previously handled, or a NEX-6. But apparently that's also hard to find here... :(