1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax plans...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by SXH, May 24, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Telecaster body with a left-handed Strat neck? Interesting...

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

As Manuel would say, Steve, "?Que " :eek: .... :D

Cheers,

Jack

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, the levitating right-handed guitarist in your first pic has a guitar which has a right-handed Fender Telecaster body (theoretically, it could be a Broadcaster body, but anyone who would butcher a fairly rare vintage Fender deserves a bit of a slap!) which has had the normal neck replaced by a left handed Fender Stratocaster style neck (not necessarily genuine Fender, 3rd party replacements are available) - it has the machine heads below rather than above the head.

There are several possible reasons for doing this.
    1. It looks cool. :cool:
    2. The original neck got broken and that was the only available replacement.
    3. Some people believe that by making the lower (pitch-wise) strings longer (including the bits behind the nut) improves the tone. But a lefty Tele neck would do that. o_O

Of course, it could just be a guitar cobbled together from a collection of available spare (3rd party?) parts...

ETA: Just to add... Fenders use bolt-on necks, so swapping them is quite easy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Done_rundleCams

Ah Ha ... wow, Steve, you know your guitar stuff :eek: ... :)

Now, I just shoot the people playing them :D

jack

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I spent a number of my earlier years hanging around with guitarists; sometimes as a roadie, occasionally as a mediocre bassist.

A couple of people suggested someone should do that to me, in my bass playing days. The fact that they were other members of the band was a bit worrying!

6. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D ..... a cool story from the shop last week --

A wee fellow (8 or 9 yrs) wearing a AC-DC shirt with a newly purchased set of binoculars around his neck. I ask if the binos are for watching
    AC-DC concerts? The kid looks at his dad who laughs and says, maybe,. I ask the wee lad if he likes the band and music, in general, and
    the dad answers that he (the son) is in a musical group and plays guitar :). The son, then looks at his dad with a rather exasperated look and
    says, "Dad, I don't play guitar ........
    ... I play BASS :)

I ask who his favourite bass player is? No answer. Being in Canada, I ask if he's heard of Geddy Lee? Who? So, I go for a larger audience.
    have you heard of that Paul McCartney fellow? Who? Dad chimes in with, 'oh yeah, he did play bass, didn't he. ;) I ask the wee fellow, have you
    heard of The Beatles and his response is ...
    .... D'uh, of course :D

Cheers,

Jack

SXH likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In the early seventies I once had some youngster ask me 'what were the Beatles really like?' :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, RicohPentax are bring out some fanboy items to celebrate 100 years. But only a couple of mugs so far. And only in Japan.

One gets the impression they don't care that much about us round-eyes!

8. Done_rundleCams

Geez, Steve, I didn't even realise that it was Pentax's 100th anniversary :eek: and I just sent an
    email to the Ricoh Imaging Canada marketing person to see if any Pentax 100th stuff might be
    making it across the Pacific?

Speaking of the Beatles, have you seen the film, Yesterday, ?
    Cheers,

jack

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nah, not my thing, though I have heard good reports of it.

Anyway, Ricoh/Pentax have added a couple of things to their 100th Anniv stuff. Wow! :rolleyes:

10. Done_rundleCams

Wow, thanks Steve, I'd be really interested in one of those T-Shirts :) ...
    ... the Coming Soon one, that is ;)

Cheers,

Jack

SXH likes this.
  11. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The grey squares with 'Coming Soon' are really going to help the business.

12. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D :D ..... I know, Chester, I know :D

Cheers,
    Jack

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And in 2020 there will be a new DSLR in the K, apsc range.

According to Ricoh, it's in development.

ETA: and all the 100th Anniversary tat is now listed on that page - they've added a load of T-shirts, a couple of key-fobs, a poster and what appears to be a special hot-shoe cover. :rolleyes:

14. Done_rundleCams

Well, I'll guess, I'll be forced to try survive throughout, at least, a portion of 2020 and, truth be told, I wouldn't mind one of the white T-shirts

https://ricohimagingstore.com/pentax-100th-t-wt-m-aoco-s1032200.html

As for the camera, it will be way above my budget but, hopefully, it'll be priced reasonably for the other Pentaxians :)

Cheers
    Jack

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Hmm, just did a quick check. That hot-shoe cover is priced at 5,400 yen. Which is (currently) £40. If it reaches these shores, what will Ricoh UK sell it at?

No doubt a bit more than the genuine wooden Pen-F 'Decoration Kit'... ;)

16. Done_rundleCams

:D :D :D ..... I suspect, Steve, that you could purchase some wood grain paint for less than £9 and pick up the
    Pentax Hot-Shoe cover ;)

Cheers,
    Jack