1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax plans...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by SXH, May 24, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to an interview with Imaging Resource, no mirrorless from Pentax, because all mirrorless users will be going back to DSLRs in the next couple of years. And no decent* compacts, just the Ricoh and waterproof ones.

My plans re Pentax? I've given up on them. But that's just me?

* my definition: pocketable, sensible zoom lens, reasonable sensor and a viewfinder!

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Me too, I'm afraid.

S

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Have to say I don't Pentax anymore:(

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Not me - I'm still using my MX (c. 1980 vintage). :)

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I still have mine, but it would need a full service to be usable again. Might be worth it, I suppose. I'd be able to use all my old Pentax lenses on it. But please don't tell me about Pentax's fabled back compatibility - I've tried a couple of them with digital models. Great, if you actually like CA.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

That sounds a little '*rse in the air, head in the sand' if they mean it... Hopefully they really intend this as smoke screen to hide the fact that they are going to be late to the party...

I don't think many Sony A7/9 users have gone back to SLRs either and wouldn't really expect Canon/Nikon users to do so either.

7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I suspect not, going by the bit about competing on quality not price. Maybe they are trying to position themselves as the Leica of the DSLR world - a very loyal and 'select' user group with lots of disposable income?

8. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

Not so sure about this. Pentax produced the K-01 mirrorless early on but it wasn't a great design and flopped somewhat, or so I'm told (on the Pentaxians FB group). I watch with interest to see what Ricoh may do with the brand going forward. For me, I have a collection of film Pentaxes that get regular use (cycling between LX-MX-KX-SP) and aspire to adding 645 and 67 to the set. All have been CLA'd within the last 6 months, and work really well. Shame the operator isn't up to the same quality...

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Told myself some time ago I wouldn't spend any more money on Pentax kit. I still occasionally use the K-5 with assortment of lenses, but my now most used cameras are the Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera and Ricoh GR2 compact. I don't think I will ever again buy interchangeable lens cameras.

10. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In my view Pentax lost the plot in the era when autofocus film slrs were becoming the standard. They produced inferior products and largely have never had a wide appeal since. Their dslrs have largely been unremarkable, certainly nothing to bring about conquest sales from the other manufacturers and I cannot see that there is likely to be any change. Aside of this most of the other products have been mediocre, the best being lower volume cameras of higher price, niche products, such as the various 645s. I did actually buy a film Pentax 645 last year, for occasional use only, it is a heavy piece of kit to tote around.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

My only Pentex is an ancient S1a. (as basic as you can get.)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, Pentax. The MX remains one of my favourite cameras, and I love the Spotties (and S series), the LX, K2 DMD, Auto 110 and 67. I haven't liked all that many of their more recent models, except I do use one of their mirrorless models - the Q. Lovely little camera, and a whole outfit fits in a pocket, but ultimately, the quality in low light isn't good enough for me to use if very often.

As to their view of the future, they may have a point. I use my Canon M models where size matters. I now use an EOS R along with my other models - but I still love using DSLRs, and I suspect that won't change.

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I hope my K-5 continues to work reliably for a very long time: it is the third Pentax I've owned and used, following an MX SLR and a K-10 DSLR. So I missed out on all the autofocus and automation developments between 1980 and 2007, but didn't spend much money on hardware either - funds went on Kodachrome. I've never been able to collect cameras and hence have a choice of ones to use: every new purchase has required the sale or part-exchange of the previous camera body.

The K-5 was the last photographic item I purchased new, my excuses being that it was recently discontinued and being unloaded at a price I could afford (as was the K-10 a few years earlier), and that then the secondhand market in similar DSLRs was much smaller than it is now. At the time, the Canon and Nikon competition at the same price did not have the same build quality, only one control dial and no top plate display of camera settings (I mostly use manual exposure, so these things are important to me). It continues to do everything I want and is capable of producing images that survive being printed to 50 x 75 cm, and possibly larger if I had the wall space. Also, none of the reviews I've read in AP during the last few years have made me think 'I must get one of these because I'll then take better pictures'.

I think that the Ricoh/Pentax problem has been that its DSLRs are often too well engineered for a market that has now been led to expect a need to upgrade every year or two, and to expect all sorts of exciting features that may make the camera bodies attractive to some people, but which may not improve the users' pictures.

However, I do think they made a mistake with the K-1 specifications. I they had used an older model Sony sensor (20 - 24 megapixels),
    made the simplest possible full-frame body to house it and managed to sell it for less money ... the company (or a least its camera division) is now too small to make 'me too' products that attempt to compete with the likes of Canon and Nikon.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

For a short while I had a Pentax dslr, I think it was a K100D, I thought it was a pile of junk and sold it on very quickly, I had a number of good K & KA-mount lenses I thought I would use it with, it proved unsatisfactory and I ended up disposing of the lenses as well.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, you have one of the single digit models; the others are prone (from what I've read) to aperture block failure. Usually just after the warranty has run out. Ricoh know about this (they've been told often enough), but continue to use the component that causes the failure. One way of making users upgrade, I suppose...
    Wasn't the K100 the last of the entry level models to use a penta-mirror instead of a prism? That leads me to suspect it was made to a price. I have a K10D, which is not a bad piece of kit. But see my previous comment about legacy lenses...

16. Chester AP

I believe that the K100, K50, etc, were 'cut down' versions of the K-10, K-5, etc, with different internal construction (built quality) to keep the price down. When originally introduced, the K-10 and K-5 were the top models in the Pentax range, which is why they were such good value when discontinued and being sold off at reduced prices by retailers.

This is the 'build and handling' part of AP's review of the K-5, which includes the text 'Despite its relatively small size for a camera of this level, the K-5 feels rugged and well built, with a magnesium-alloy body encasing its stainless-steel alloy chassis. There are 77 weatherproof seals to keep out dust and moisture. This is just as well because I tested the K-5 on several freezing cold and snowy days'.

www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/pentax-k-5/3

I once dropped my K-10 about 2 feet onto a marble floor - landed on one of the corners on the lower face and survived without damage. And the attached lens had a large folding rubber lens hood attached, so when the camera body bounced the lens wasn't damaged either.

I have used some old K mount lenses with the K-10 and K-5, and the larger aperture one work fine (for focusing) unless you're in a great hurry. Since going digital, I've picked up some very nice secondhand K-mount autofocus lenses are good prices (Tamron 90 mm macro, Sigma 50 mm macro, Sigma 17-70 and Sigma 30 mm F 1.4). However, the number of lenses like these available secondhand is likely to fall because Tamron and Sigma have stopped supplying any of their newer models in the K mount. So somebody wanting to be assured of a good supply of secondhand lenses in the future would probably be advised to buy a Canon or Nikon camera body.

Given the 'rush to mirrorless', how long will it be before Tamron and Sigma stop making lenses for Canon and Nikon DSLRs too?

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Intrigues me that Sigma of course continue to make lenses to fit their Quattro cameras, yet I have never actually seen anyone using one.

18. Chester AP

Many companies have 'vanity' projects...

I note that AP still lists these cameras under DSLRs in their monthly hardware lists, so even it doesn't have much interest in them.