1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax MZ-S

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Pen-Man, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Pen-Man

Pen-Man Well-Known Member

I am still wondering, as a Pentax user for many years I am considering upgrading to the MZ-S and off-loading my much loved Z1 to offset costs. But the MZ-S appears less specified, apart from the autofocussing (which I rarely use for my still life and architectural photos.) Would appreciate some advice. Is the MZ-S any good?
    Thanks
    Pen-Man

Keep rocking

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

... the MZ-S appears less specified, apart from the autofocussing (which I rarely use for my still life and architectural photos.) ........ Is the MZ-S any good?

If the MZ-S is less specified, and you don't need the AF, why would you want to upgrade to it?

Get out and get shooting!!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Why do you need to upgrade ???

If the autofocussing of the PZ1 is good enough then then what will you gain ?

I have a PZ1 and saw no benefit at all in moving to the MZS. If I were you I would save your money.

Buy a new lens instead, or maybe even some film !!

4. Pen-Man

Pen-Man Well-Known Member

Might buy a new lens, Sigma 600 mirror sounds ok, with a diet of Fuji 100/1000 film and my tripod. got stacks of film, only last week I had to clear the fridge of tins of lager to accomodate it all.
    Thanks

Keep rocking

5. jimh

jimh Well-Known Member

Speaking of the MZS, I dug mine out to run a "fillum" through it and found all the rubber-ish covers had turned to a form of liquorice! Luckily I have the grip mounted, it will now have to be a permanent fixture because I cannot source spares. A contact cover from a PP3 battery if reversed plugs the remote release socket, that's all I need to protect at the moment. What is the material used, a Sigma lens and a pair of binoculars are also getting 'sticky'.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Possibly some form of butyl rubber or similar. Early Canon EOS cameras (mid '80s) had bumpers for the shutter blades made from this type of material and over the years that too degrades to a sticky oily mess. I've personally cleaned out on EOS600 that had the issue which was a right pain...

A temporary (very) fix can be to dust the material with talc, which reduces the tackiness, though if it's gone too far that may not be terribly effective. At that stage the only option is probably to remove it altogether. Repair is likely to be a DIY job though there probably are a few camera repairers (such as Newton and Ellis) who may do it for a price. There's a company called Microtools in the US who sell leather and leatherette plus the tools to do the job yourself. AFAIK they still ship to the UK and it's possible you might find them on Amazon.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

...which nobody was for nearly 17 years... ;)

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Eminently forgettable camera, like most of their autofocus film bodies.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Incredibly ugly one, though.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ug is in the eye of the beholder...

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Everything is beautiful in it's own way?

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

True, of course. But it's still ugly. ;)

13. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The sticky covering is a result of the grippy coating they used breaking down .
    Certain Minolta , Canon and Nikon cameras are prone to it .
    Both of my Minolta Dynax 7's went like this , luckily it's an easy fix that doesn't take too long .

[​IMG]

Dynax 7 Sticky back repair kit by Neil , on Flickr

Minolta Dynax 7 with sticky back .
    IsoPropyl Alcohol .
    Stocking net dishcloth .

With a Minolta 24-105mm f3.5-4.5 D attached .

[​IMG]

Minolta Dynax 7 , Sticky back cleaned with IsoPropyl Alcohol by Neil , on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. jimh

jimh Well-Known Member

Great, but it was the various "plugs" that went gooey, especially the remote release cover, body is ok. I'll try the IPA in mediprep form on the binos and lens, thanks for that, talc only worked for a short while.

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Not my favourite looking Pentax camera and, personally, I didn't really like the ergonomics, but,
    it worked like a hot d@mn :), so, the MZ-S was, for some people, not visually appealing, but, the
    visuals that it (and lenses) produced were very appealing ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Benchista likes this.
  16. Done_rundleCams

Hi Jim,

I just got gifted a PZ1-P w/ a Sigma 24/2.8 (mf) lens and, luckily, no rubber cover issues, to go along with my MX and Pentax 35/2.8 and 135/2.5 (mf) lenses and
    shoot them in conjunction with my K-r w/ either a Tamron 70-200/2.8 or Pentax DA 50-135/2.8 lens and my Ricoh GR :D

Hope you get it all running and put some film through it :)

Cheers,

Jack

jimh likes this.
  17. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

I succumbed to MZ-S lust around 2004-5, fabulous camera and completely different to Z-1p (I owned a Z-1 as well), only have the Z-1p now (that's a bit of a lie as I bought a P-50 last year) but it hardly gets used...

18. Done_rundleCams

Sadly, Peter, I just never cottoned to the MZ-S :eek: and, probably, just because I was so used
    to my PZ-1's and MX's ;) Of course, now, I have my (gifted) PZ1-P and MX which are my
    film cameras and go with my Ricoh GR and a, recently purchased, K-3 :). Cool thing about the
    PZ1-P is that I can use my Tamron 70-200/2.8 with, both, it and the K-3/K-r/K5 :D

OOC, what film are you shooting with most often?

Cheers,

Jack

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The "rubber" used for the grips was common in the 80s, I had the drive belt of a tape recorder turn to black goo after about 25 years. All the isopropyl alcohol does is dissolve it, well it did with the drive belt.
    Apparently production of the MZ-S ceased in 2006 a fact that leaves me wondering how many they sold.
    This thread originating from 2001, I suspect the reason for considering an "upgrade" was that the MZ-S was brand new at the time.

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

The IPA get's rid of it though , makes the camera pleasant to use again .
    before I cleaned up the Dynax 7 it felt horrible and I just didn't use it .
    Now there cleaned up , their back to being my favorite cameras and get plenty of use .

jimh and Done_rundleCams like this.