1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax ME Super - Anybody worked on one?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by PC60, Feb 18, 2018.

1. PC60

PC60 Member

I have one that I have managed to strip and sort all the sticky bushes that jam the shutter up. It is a bit of a fiddly exercise removing the leatherette and tracking the shims etc. but it is working nearly except in Auto.

Stripping out and cleaning the mirror box means removing wires and working around the switch arrangements inside and it could be that the air spacing on the switch has got slightly moved but I am not sure. Basically the camera powers up winds and the shutter releases. the main issue is that the metering seems to be operating in manual mode, i.e. with the up down buttons when in Auto or Manual mode.

I was wondering if anybody else out there has been through this process themselves and has experience that they could share?

Thanks
    Phil.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting this request on the Pentax forums website?

Their old lenses listings and reviews have also been very useful to me.

www.pentaxforums.com

3. PC60

PC60 Member

I haven't posted in that forum so the suggestion is good and greatfully received.

Thank you.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

You're must braver than I am, Phil :D and, hopefully, you get everything working :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have just been given an ME Super by a photographer who has 'gone digital'. It is in reasonable condition, but I have not done anything to it and would not know where to begin with stripping it. It probably needs new button batteries, but it winds on and the shutter fires in manual mode. It came with a bolt on motor drive that looks almost brand new and a range of Cokin Filters.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

The button batteries (LR44's or any equivalent) should be able to be found at most Camera stores and if there's
    a Jessops nearby, here ya go: https://www.jessops.com/p/duracell/lr44-electronics-battery-twin-pack-96893. At work,
    we sell the Varta equivalent and have a couple in my MX at the moment ;).

Have fun with your new (or renewed ;) ) baby :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They do that iirc at 1/125th sec. It probably just needs the batteries as Jack states. I seem to remember the main cause of problems on these cameras were the up/down buttons for changing setting values.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

9. Done_rundleCams

You are right as rain, Niimbus, and the ME Super has two mechanical shutter speeds, 1/125, as Nimbus mentions, and the Bulb setting which can be
    useful, I guess, for shooting star trails and, perhaps, fireworks :)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

11. Monobod

Fortunately,
    I got the paper manual with it. The camera came with two lenses, the first one is the SMC Pentax M f1.7 (no A position on the aperture ring, so fully manual 50mm. The other is one I have not heard of before:
    Printed around the front element is:-
    CLUBMAN MC AUTO 1:2.8 f=2.8 52mm.

Has anyone heard of this before?

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

One of the generic lenses produced with a number of different names for the customer.

13. Done_rundleCams

Nope, I haven't David, and I would try sus out a reversing ring
    and you might have a nice macro lens ;)

Here's a few for sale in, what looks like, the Republic of Ireland ..

. https://www.ebay.ie/sch/78997/i.html?_ftrv=24&isRefine=false&_nkw=clubman+mc+auto

Cheers,

Jack

14. Monobod

Thanks for the tip jack, but I have the original triple extension tubes (Pentax). These work well too. For up to date stuff I have the Pentax 100mm f/2.8 macro for the K-1. I love the feel of the older lenses, so well built and solid.

I should say I bought most of my lenses some time ago, when they were affordable, well just about anyway. Look at the prices now!

15. Done_rundleCams

I kinda reckoned you would have some macro stuff, David, but, just in case ;) and, yep, prices are nutty :eek:

Cheers,

Jack