1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax M lens

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have come across a nice example of the SMC Asahi Pentax f/1.7 50mm lens. I am not sure if it will work on my K-1 or the K-3. it has no A on the aperture ring, so if I set the aperture I want and use stop down exposure in Av mode, will that give me a proper exposure shutter speed using the green button?

I have the SMC 50mm f/1.7 A lens as a fall back option, just wanted to see if one were better than the other.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yes. You can use M42 lenses on digitals if you want.

S

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would doubt that the older lens would be any better, coatings tend to improve over the years of development. The newer lens will certainly be much easier to use.

4. Monobod

Yes, I agree the older lens may well be less than the A version, but it will be interesting to see. The M lens is multi coated though, so should be OK.

Just out of interest, the 50mm f/1.7 A is a really excellent lens. Used on the K-3 it is very sharp and resolves enough detail to be able to read road signs that are many hundreds of yards away. If you can find one s/h in good condition, then it is worth buying. Mine is autofocus too.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes these lenses were all decent. Not worth buying for me, the only Pentax cameras I have are an old SL, which is there for nostalgic reasons and a recently purchased 645 (original film version).

6. Monobod

The ME Super that was kindly given to me by a photographer who has recently 'Gone digital' is very much a keepsake for sentimental reasons. I had one, bought new, when they first were introduced. I eventually traded it along with an assortment of M42 lenses for a Z1-P. I still have that camera.

I thought it may have been of use to my Grandson, who is keen on photography, but he is very happy with his Nikon bridge camera that we bought him for Christmas, film doesn't interest him. Cannot load it to his phone.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. chris hallows

chris hallows Active Member

I know its a old post but I have one of those lens SMC f1.7 50mm baynet fitted to my old Pentax MX which I bought in the 70's, its a really good lens. At the time I bought my mother a Pentax ME camera which I think had the "A" lens fitted, unfortunately my sister inherited the Pentax when my mother died. I now have a Olympus 4/3 rds camera and I am thinking of trying the lens on that with a adapter in manual of course.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, Chris, you should have a cracking portrait lens with the SMC 50/1.7 lens :) as I gaze at my
    MX, albeit with a Sigma 24/2.8 attached ;) and sitting beside my Pentax K3 :D

Cheers and good shooting :)

Jack