1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax K to Nikon F mount adapter

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by mtop6867, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mtop6867

mtop6867 Well-Known Member

I've got a Nikon D70 with only 1 lens. I have a few Pentax K manual focus prime lenses from a previous life, and am thinking about getting an adapter. On ebay I found this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENTAX-PK...7310587?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_c aps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item19c4e1bc7b.(Sorry about the link, no WYSIWYG interface for me...). Anyone have experience with such a thing? Worth getting? I know the Pentax lenses will only work MF, manual mode and aperture priority, but that isn't a real issue for me - AF is a relatively new concept to me, and (I hope) the prime lenses will make nicer pics than the 35-70mm Nikkor that currently sits on the D70...?

2. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

It's Chinese according to the internet and is easily the cheapest on the planet - Amazon sell one for £39.95 and this is £16.95 post free from China in many adverts - can't spot any reviews that don't seem to be just 5 stars submitted probably by the sellers themselves.

There don't seem to be any technical details on it. Maybe someone will have bought one - wouldn't risk it myself on a modern digital Nikon - even the Nikon body caps are different between digital and film Nikons so as not to destroy the gold contacts just inside the bayonet.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Problem with adapting K-mount lenses to Nikon cameras is that the lens registration distance is shorter than Nikon's (and I think there's also an issue with mount diameter too) which means adaptors need a secondary lens in order to maintain infinity focus - the one in the link looks like it is such a beast.

This brings up two issues, first the secondary lens further increases the apparent focal length by something like 1.2 to 1.3x typically, not too bad on a full frame but coupled with the 1.5x magnification of a DX format camera the overall effect is alomost 2x magnification - great with telephoto lenses but useless for wide angles...

Second issue is how optically good is the lens in the adapter? Canon used to sell an Canon FD to Canon EF mount adapter when the EOS sytem came out. That too had an optical element and there were comments that you couldsee some loss of image quality - and this was on an adapter that was something like £100+ (at the time. You have to ask how optically competent can the lens be in a sub-£20 adapter...

Personally I'd not bother, save up and either get some proper Nikon lenses or buy a second hand Pentax dSLR.

PS as I recall the D70 is the same as the other digital Nikons of the time - there's no metering available with non -AF lenses of any kind, you just stick the camera in M mode and use the sunny-16 rule to estimate your exposure...

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Three points here, first it also claims to work with Minolta lenses. Second, as already pointed out it has a lens in the adaptor, this will destroy the quality from your original lenses. Third, you get what you pay for. Oh, I'll go for four, you'll lose all automation to speak of.

Save your money from this, put it towards buying Nikon fit lenses!