1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax K-500 orientation sensor issue

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by broadstairs, Sep 22, 2013.

1. broadstairs

broadstairs Active Member

I have noticed that it does not matter whether I hold my camera in portrait or landscape position the orientation tag in the exif data says Top,Left in both cases. Does anyone else see this on their Pentax cameras with an orientation sensor? It means my software (digikam in my case) cannot auto-rotate the images for viewing.

Stuart

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stuart,

I love to help or offer an answer but I've yet to see
    a K-500 in person or, for that matter, in the store :eek:

Perhaps, try contacting Ricoh-Imaging.co.uk and, as well, there
    is a Technical Information link... and here is a link to the above:

CLICK HERE for the LINK

Hope this might help a wee bit :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. broadstairs

Jack I have opened a ticket with Pentax (Ricoh) in the UK and look forward to hearing from them. I just thought I'd ask here in case anyone had seen this.

Stuart

4. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I don't have a K-500 to try but have you checked if there are any settings for this? I can't see any mentioned in the user manual but page 192 does mention how to change the rotation of each image. It would be a good starting point to see if using this stores the correct orientation setting.

5. broadstairs

See my thread here.

Basically Pentax came back and said load latest firmware which I have and does not fix it. I can find nothing in the manual aboout a setting for the sensor but you can alter the exif data manually when reviewing an individual image, andthis sets the correct data in the exif tag.

Stuart

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to suspect that it's not the camera but the software. It can take 3rd party software a little time to catch up with new models.

7. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Does this happen to both RAW and jpg?

If it is software related then download something like PhotoMe which will give you all the EXIF information and should be reliable.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  8. broadstairs

The data is there but always says top,left irrespective of camera orientation. If I manually in camera alter the rotation it then sets the correct data which is used to display the image both on the camera and on the PC when downloaded. This is nothing to do with the PC software. I suspect either a firmware bug or a failed sensor.

Stuart

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Presumably Pentax supplied software to go with the camera. Does the picture auto rotate in that? For that matter does it display in the correct orientation on the camera's own screen?

10. broadstairs

No it does NOT display correctly in camera, portrait mode shots always display in landscape mode (ie. NOT rotated)

Stuart

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Is there a menu setting to turn it off? There is with Canons.

12. broadstairs

No I already said I can find nothing in the manual (PDF copy) or looking through the menu, absolutely nothing I can find to turn on or off this function.

Stuart

13. Katier

Katier New Member

I know the k500 doesn't have a level guide, i wonder if a consequence of that is it doesn't have a orientation sensor, as such it does not know what orientation the photo was taken?

14. broadstairs

I am rapidly coming to that conclusion, however I am still waiting for Pentax support to respond to my question on this, been 3 days now since they last replied and did not answer my question.

Stuart

15. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Do you hear a slight click when you change the camera from portrait to landscape or visa versa? In the K-5 and K-7 there is a small mechanical switch that moves to tell the computer which way up it is. One can hear it move as the orientation changes. if it is silent, then perhaps it doesn't have it. It may be a small pendulum or similar.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  16. broadstairs

No I dont hear anything but then my hearing is not what it was some years ago!!!! Also some orientation sensors are not pendulums or rolling balls etc, my Canon SX10IS has a totally silent one, at least I cant hear it.

Stuart

17. Monobod

Then I would suggest contacting Pentax (Ricoh?) support for an answer.

18. broadstairs

Which is indeed what I have already done some days ago and as yet no reply !!!!

Stuart

19. Monobod

Sell it and buy a Nikon! They have a good hotline......
    Only joking of course. Nikon does not meet the specification price for price.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013