1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax 70-200 f2.8 preview / review

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Atavar, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Hi there, the review of the new Pentax 70-200 f2.8 made interesting reading, picked up it can't really be judged against the competition as the 35mm lens is for full frame so you can't really review it properly until the new FA camera is out (unless you put the competitions lenses on their APS-C cameras, perhaps for future comparisons prior to the new camera;)), however i have a question:

Can this new digital design lens be used on Pentax Film cameras? They are 35mm... I know the absence of an aperture ring rules out the really old cameras, but what of the film cameras which controlled the lenses by the bodies control dials? There may just be some users out there who would have both digital and 35mm Film who would find that a pretty attractive lens if it functioned on all their cameras...?

And if so, any chance AP can throw off the shackles of Digital Dependency for twenty minutes, grab the lens again and a pentax film body, a Nikon f6 and their 70-200 f2.8 and a canon 1v and their respective 70-200 f2.8, and give it a good test with film, which would leave out the internal lens libraries of modern digital bodies and give a direct from lens result - and, for once, would even be able to use identical sensors in the same film stock...

I dares ya... I double dares ya...

2. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Hmm. A few thoughts;-

1. On the one hand, absolutely no reason it won't fit on a Pentax film body - it's a k mount lens. Indeed, there are still current Pentax lenses, like the 50/1.4 I've had for a few years and the 35/2 I bought a couple of months ago, which have been made continuosly since before there were Pentax digital SLRs.

2. That said, there's often discussion about lenses "optimised for digital" and the difference between how a frame of film and how a sensor chip want to recieve light from the lens, in a straight line or otherwise.

3. But then, that said, I look at other manufacturers who have DSLRs with APS(C) sensors and full frame models and the full frame models use lenses which, again, go back to film days but are still in production. I don't know much about Nikon or Sony (with legacy Minolta lenses) but certainly with Canon the 50/1.4 I bought second hand for use with my EOS film cameras is still current. The 50/1.8 I have is only just being replaced and the 28-135 IS seems to be disappearing off the shelves too, but I've yet to hear any EOS digital users saying they're dissatisfied with any of these or with other long-standing optics like the 24-70 or 24-105.

4. Where I'm guessing there might be a problem mounting the new tele on a film camera is with the new practice of the lens and camera (and Pentax software in post production?) working together to counteract distortion, vignetting and fringing. Needless to say, the film cameras can't do this.

5. Just on the lack of aperture ring, it could bring back the frustration a lot of us felt in 2001 when the MZS replaced the Z1P as the top of the range film SLR and went back to using the aperture ring for aperture priority. In other words, this lens would be of limited use on the last Pentax pro film camera to a greater extent than either its predecessor or the contemporary enthusiast or even beginner models.