1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pedestrian Licences?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I think all peds. voted Brexit. It is the only explanation.
    The thing that annoys me with emergency vehicles is that (when driving) you pull over to let one past and then some idiot behind decides to overtake you because you had slowed down.

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I always feel safer with them in front of me! ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yeah, particularly when you've only got wing-mounted machine guns, and no rear gunner. (I fantasize, of course, but there have been times when I wished I had them. :eek: :D)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I can sum up brexit in one word......FREEDOM.......ok three words......FREEDOM AT LAST.....

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Well there you are Roger, you've continually asked for one positive of Brexit and now you have it...!!

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Possibly not the right thread. Sorry if not.

What do our cyclists think of the recent case where a cyclist killed a pedestrian. I hadn't realised that the cyclist was riding with no front brake and what he calls a 'fixie' and 60 years ago I called a 'fixed wheel'.

There's a BBC article that contains some (admittedly half hearted) justification for using such a set up -even though it's illegal. (not the fixed wheel - it's having no brake that's illegal)

Sixty years ago I used to ride with a fixed wheel (many hundreds of miles) and will bet with absolute certainty that having a brake and a fixed wheel will stop you quicker than just a fixed wheel. I therefore think that this cyclist deserves all he gets (he's awaiting sentence)

What do you think - especially our cyclists.

MickLL

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

And he will ridicule it - as he would any attempt at justification.

I am a remainer but it's time we understood - we lost. Brexit in some shape will happen. Get used to it.

MickLL

8. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Many years ago I rode with a fixed wheel but you still need both wheels to have brakes.
    Unless, of course, you're on a Velodrome. :)

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

As my personal data attests, I live in Milton Keynes the home of cyclist friendly Redways, and about which I've complained several times. My pedestrian route to the local shops is along a Redway, and whereas a few years ago, there were many cyclists using this Redway, and scaring me with the possibility that I'd step into the path of one coming from behind, that danger seems to have largely disappeared. I don't know why - have the cyclists now got jobs in London as delivery cyclists, or did they get killed when venturing onto a real road with vehicles bigger and faster than them? Whatever, front brakes are a necessary item that should be fitted and working properly wherever cyclists mix with other users. This particular case has been made much worse by the crass comments made by the cyclist on social media, and has done the cause of more mature cyclists untold harm..
    My sincere sympathies to the bereaved family.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are 2 types of cyclist. The majority are polite and thoughtful while a tiny minority are scum. A bit like pedestrians and drivers really.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I'm an occasional cyclist and sometimes inhabit one of the cycling forums (good source of technical information for an incompetent like me).
    Some of the comments are just plain stupid. Whatever happened to live and let live and respect for others whose views may be different than yours? (Unless of course we discuss Brexit).

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

From what? Or to do what?

As I've said before, how about a concrete example of how Brexit will improve anyone's life, not empty woo with no definition.

One freedom you're taking away from me is my European citizenship: my right to live and work anywhere in Europe. What has the EU ever taken away from you?

Cheers,

R.

13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. We are a democracy, which means people can still argue for anything for as long as they like.

S

14. steveandthedogs

We always were a sovereign nation, as are ALL countries in the EU. That means we ALWAYS have been free.

S

15. Roger Hicks

Brexiteers tend to be strong on slogans and weak on understanding.

But we are FREE from having a reasonably strong currency, FREE of any risk of being taken seriously on the international stage!

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. Roger Hicks

I cycle quite a lot, as do many other people in rural France. I have yet to see anything that would inspire the kind of hatred some people seem to harbour for bicyclists. When I lived in a city (Bristol) I was certainly on the receiving end of dangerous, thoughtless and arrogant behaviour from motorists, but I don't see that 'round here. As others have said, blanket condemnations of all cyclists are witless.

Cheers,

R.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

According to regulations the cycle was illegal and thus the lack of brakes most probably contributed to the accident. So he was found guilty and so awaits punishment. Correct.

However reading about the accident it has also been written that the lady was looking at her phone whilst stepping into the road. Did her own actions also contribute to the accident?

Also of course having brakes does not guarantee they are working. Or having good brakes but slow reactions!

I suspect the cyclists initial lack of remorse and his posts on social media will go some way to make an example of him.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

What about drivers who position their car so they can dive out of a long traffic queue to follow directly behind an ambulance on an emergency call as it passes?

19. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Of course - but equally the folk who do keep banging on shouldn't complain when others get fed up ,especially on a photographic forum.

MickLL

20. steveandthedogs

Except that this is the Lounge...

Anyway, who was complaining? Only those who don't like the idea of the EU.

S