1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pedestrian Licences?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe a function needs to be built into all smartphones, so when the phone senses it's location is changing, it's speaker calls out 'Gonzo, ... Gonzo .... ' on a regular basis? Useful for the idiot vehicle drivers as well ....

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I remember back when 'spoken' reversing alarms for trucks first came in - a wagon making a delivery to the offices where I worked, reversed in to the words "Look out! I'm going backwards!" and reduced all the smokers outside to hysterics. The driver explained that the owner of the delivery company had found out that he could record his own 'reversing' message and had done so against the advice of all his drivers.

Cheers, Jeff

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Especially on a thread about pedestrians and their vagaries. Maybe a benefit of Brexit is we can deport all errant pedestrians, or dock their benefits? Maybe we can send them to work in the NHS?

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Would our roads be safer if only emergency vehicles had audible means of announcing their approach?

5. Footloose

I think the various emergency services use different 'Hailing' calls, but I don't think they are 'different' enough.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Of course you're bored with Brexit, because you don't like having the truth shoved in your face. You want to wallow in a delusional and temporary "victory". Here's a suggestion for making it less one-side: produce some arguments in favour of Brexit.

Go on. Dare you!

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  7. Footloose

You've obviously just skimmed over what I posted, and assumed I am a pro-Brexiteer - which I am NOT. What I specifically said was:

'I'm just getting a tad bored of people who directly or indirectly keep going on about Brexit one way or the other.'
    Maybe, you'd have understood what I said if I'd used 'Either way' instead?

If I did want to contribute something towards this 'mass-debate', I'd do this through a website specifically dedicated to that subject, rather than subjecting all and sundry, to whatever those views of mine, may be. - Hence my suggestion for a thread dedicated to anything related to Brexit. You and some others here might not like that idea, but maybe a lot of other people feel the same way that I do.

I'd also like to buy a nationally-distributed newspaper (eg, not the Hansard!) that doesn't have any sports related and barrel-scraping content in it, but sadly, that's not going to happen anytime in the near or distant future.

SXH and dangie like this.
  8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as an echo chamber. The great advantage of this site is that we are united by our love of photography, not our politics, so there is a chance of "meeting" people with different views.

If you're bored with the debate over Brexit, you are to blame for the mess we're in. It calls for informed debate, not wimping out. This applies whether you are pro-leave or pro-remain: hence my observation about not wanting the truth shoved in your face.

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think they should keep the issue going, but not by convoluting any subject to hijack it. Bit like David Icke and others attributing everything to the New World Order.

Footloose likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nearly came a cropper because of some dodgy driving by the fire service yesterday. Manoeuvred my way round a bend in the road only to come face to face with a fire enging 'tearing along the dotted line' - yes, I'd heard it as I approached but I still rather expected it to be on the other side of the road. Looked like a Brexiteer too.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This is a very old story from a friend. Apparently he was taking a young lady for a spin in his sports car (an elderly and rusty Triumph Spitfire) and was (let's be honest) showing off. As they whizz round a bend he's horified to find a big car on his side of the road heading straight at him. He throws out the anchor and slides sideways. When the dust settles he and the girl are intact as is for the most part the Spitfire. The big car is in a ditch and three police cars are all over the road. The crews are mostly clustered around the big car but a sergeant comes over to have a word. My friend is waiting to have the book thrown at him but all the sergeant does is apologise. "Sorry about that sir. We nearly stopped him before the bend but he got past us. You did us a great favour with your quick thinking!" :confused:

12. Footloose

My father told me about an 'interesting' incident he was involved in whilst riding a Rudge Ulster; It was tipping down with rain and as he went round a corner, saw a tanker on it's side, some way further down the road. Just ahead of him, a policeman signalled he should stop.

The brakes, had levers which pivoted at the end of the handlebars, rather than the usual way round (to prevent people getting their hands 'speared' before the days when safety ball-ends were on the levers. His brakes worked, but he just slid down the road, then was promptly spat off the Rudge.

The policeman gingerly walked over to him and said - "Sorry, haven't had time to put a road-sign up, that's a tanker carrying paraffin and it's spilt all over the road", at which point he then promptly landed on the deck as well! When he went to pick up his m/c, he found that the brake lever on one side was inoperable, due to it grinding along on the road surface!

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is that anything to do with all the gin the residents drink, they probably wouldn't notice the traffic lights if there were any

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Some months ago I was almost wiped out by a police car rounding a bend on the wrong side of the road. He was on the wrong side of one of those small traffic islands , traveling
    at high speed 'on blues' but no sirens. There was no apparent reason for his haste and certainly no reason to be on the wrong side of the road.

I rang Cheshire police to complain and was told. "that's the Cheshire/Manchester border, We didn't have a car in the area - must be Manchester".

I rang Manchester and got the same excuse.

One of the forces rang again and my wife took the call. I heard her say , "stop these excuses. Send someone round to wash my husband's underpants"

MickLL

LesleySM likes this.
  15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I said my piece on "B" and then I gave up when it was announced those that lost won, and those who won lost...I am trying to keep all my thoughts on other things now, but that wont last for long I am sure! The "B" has ruined most intelligent forums that I give my time too....

17. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the episode of 'Phoenix Nights' where Max installs a customized car alarm which plays a klaxon and the phrase 'Get back ya bastard, I'll break your legs' whenever someone interferes with the car. :D

Fishboy likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not when Roger is on line!

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

There's a reason they built a Bombay gin distillery there.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was in the car with my dad and he was about to pull into the petrol garage when a police car with sirens etc skidded into the forecourt and nearly smashed into us luckily dad spotted it in time and just managed to swerve

We both sat there convinced there must be a major raid going on

The police car screeched to a halt and the driver leapt out and ran to the loo