1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pedestrian Licences?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Aug 21, 2017.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Forget driving licences I am starting to think people should pass a test before they're allowed to walk down the street alone!
    Sitting outside the pub today I watched the following..

An ambulance with lights and sirens had got boxed in due to a red light on the road so cars couldn't move to the side. So it sits there and the lights change the cars start to pull over to give it space but it still can't move because three pedestrians have decided to saunter over the crossing a second before the lights changed all wearing headphones and two of them also looking at their mobile phones.

I always stand back at a crossing even if the green man is showing to let emergency vehicles go past unless the sirens are so far away I can cross safely before they show up. Ambulances are built like tanks and have a longer stopping distance than the standard car after all. Ignoring that they may be going to someone who needs their help or coming back to hospital with a patient,...

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I saw something similar today...I could see the blue lights flashing but other drivers still pulled forward of the traffic lights when they went green, ambulance went passed and then the green man came on so pedestrians started crossing before all the vehicles that had decided they were not missing their turn at the lights had cleared the junction and went dodging through the pedestrians.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Leslie,

Then again, we could institute voting licenses. Probably just one question would be enough: "Did you believe that the EU was costing the NHS 350 million a week?" Or if a second question is needed, "If not, why on earth would you vote for a liar who said it was?"

Cheers,

R.

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It could never happen in my hometown. Whitchurch, Hampshire is one of the few towns in mainland Britain that has no permanent traffic lights.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Normally it takes a bit more than two posts before it gets around to Brexit.... :(

6. Roger Hicks

Odd, that, given the importance of Brexit.

Cheers,

R.

7. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Having a short sit down in the Dolphin Centre in Poole, being early for a clinic appointment, saw two young ladies both engrossed in texting meet head on, phones went flying they both fell against a shop front and managed to avoid hitting the ground.

Trannifan likes this.
  8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Pedestrians who walk up to Pelican Crossings, press the button, look for traffic, nothing coming, then cross.
    Vehicle then approaches crossing, lights go to red, vehicle stops, no pedestrian in sight.

Why oh why don't people look first before pressing the button?

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

In Warminster we have 2 Pelican crossings within 100 yards. People still just step out into the traffic midway between the two.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Probably just the fuse the class war needs to mobilise the poor who can't afford cars and live at the mercy of the rich exploiters who think they own the road and everything else besides.......well I think that's how it goes. Can there be any other interpretation, we've had Brexit? ;)

11. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think there are some on here who don't agree with Brexit. ;)

12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well, you're picking up on the clues far better than I am! I sometimes wish that people would just stop mincing their words and say what they mean!

Cheers, Jeff

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Come the revolution we'll put all the Brexiteers in their big fat cars and ship the lot off to the land of the declining sun while a band plays the Horst-Wessel-Lied. Have I missed anyone out? :cool:

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

But what we don't have on here, despite Roger's persistent prompting, is a single forumite willing to suggest a single benefit to be derived from Brexit.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Cool. So if we're all in agreement there's no need to keep harping on about it.

dangie likes this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind that the big 'winners' will most likely be politicians, lawyers and dodgy money-men*, do you expect anyone on this board to admit to being in one of those groups? :eek:

* other dodgy money-genders are available. Probably. o_O

Andrew Flannigan and PhotoEcosse like this.
  17. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Lets get back to the original thread.......All emergency vehicals should have a taser fitted on the front....or a water hose........

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  18. Roger Hicks

Odd, that, isn't it? Despite the fact that some seem to support it.

Cheers,

R.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

So much for the claim that turkeys don't vote for Christmas. :(

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm just getting a tad bored of people who directly or indirectly keep going on about Brexit one way or the other. Maybe we just need a thread locked at the top of the Forums listings, called 'Brexit' so they can go on about it, in there?
    Presumably, the website software doesn't have 'configurable' swear word function, into which Brexit can be added, which automatically transfers the postings with 'that' word in them, into the 'Brexit' section?