1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by downfader, May 12, 2007.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I'm getting really annoyed with this. I managed to set up the wifi on my mobo on my pc to access the bt home hub (the white box) but for some reason I think BT are tryig to force me to use their software (which I dont want to as its c*** and slows your pc right down) - as my connectio keeps getting cut off.

I've barely had any internet usage on this new PC so I cant understand why its doing it other than blame BT. :D

I'm using the ASUS WLan settings:

Status "Associated"
    Speed 11 Mps
    Type "Infrastructure"
    Encryption "WEP"
    SSID "BT Homehub [plus number]"
    all this in access point mode

I'm not a master at this, so if anyones got any tips I'd be grateful. I have IE set to auto detect on LAN btw.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ensure your "Network Authentication" is set to OPEN.

Also, there are two codes on the Home Hub make sure you use the WEP one otherwise the computer sees the hub but cannot connect.

3. downfader

Hmmm did that already..

Very odd, it keeps cutting me off or refusing to work. I'm getting a signal strength of 77% or higher though.

4. Hendo

Hendo Well-Known Member

Try changing the channel.

Andrew

5. downfader

Havent got anything that says channel in it. Key Index though. Might try that if it happens again. Seems rto have sorted itself out fr some reason - havemt a clue if its because of something I might have changed. :eek:

6. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Is BT your ISP?

If so then surely they can help you out???

7. downfader

Yeah and they're rubbish. The first thing they tell you to do is install all their software, which isnt needed.

Anyway, as I said before its working right now after I had a fiddle. Hopefully it should now stay that way. :)

8. john60wales

john60wales Well-Known Member

I know wireless is being touted as the new 'miracle' with adverts of saddos doing their work on laptops in their gardens [usually grinning inanely & drinking wine] :mad:
    But honestly, wireless [on the whole] is utter crap. I work as an IT Technician & have yet to find a Technician who actually likes it. Yes it can be usefull - but for most people who run only 1 PC then its absolutely pointless. Wireless signals can be interfeared with by everyday objects as microwaves! The signal can also change for no apparent reason - from good to bad almost overnight. It's no coincedence that many large institutions who jumped on the 'wireless bandwagon' are now going back to cable :).
    Sorry if this doesn't help an awfull lot :eek:
    WEP is now crackable within minutes using free software from the Web [& it slows down your PC]. Leaving your wireless 'Open' is like leaving your front door open at night - anyone can walk in!
    Changing channels on your router can actually make a difference - though you say there seems to be no way to do this.
    I know its not what you want to hear but I suggest [unless you really, & I mean really need it] you ditch the wireless & get a cabled router, as wireless is more trouble than its worth... & of course you now have the possible health issues coming out of the USA concerning wireless?
    Cheers
    John