1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC memory problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by velocette, May 29, 2019.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

I’m suffering what seems to be a memory problem when scanning negatives using an up to date copy of Vuescan supporting an old but good Epsom Perfection 1200. My PC has an i5 7500 3.4 GHz processor with 16.0 GB of ram and runs Windows 10 Pro quite happily supporting Lightroom & Photoshop simultaneously together with an open email and iTunes playing.

However I’ve recently started plodding my way through scanning 40 years + of negatives and have hit a problem. After a number of scans, it varies but from 7 up the system starts to become unstable and the MS wireless mouse becomes uncontrollable. It’s a similar problem I had a year ago when a graphics card expired but in that case it occurred across all operations and all the time. It now only occurs when scanning so I’m assuming that some part of my memory is being overloaded somehow but which? I have a NVIDA GT 710 graphics card with 2 GB and although not the best seems to move and manipulate 24 MB RAW files between applications with no problems which I assume are much larger than my scanner is generating. The largest single scanned file I can find is a 1.5 MB colour negative so nothing like the size produced by any of my current digital cameras.

Has anybody any idea on where the problem might lie?

Peter

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suppose you could run the performance monitor to see if memory in use was increasing after each scan but I'd be suprised if there was a memory leak with modern software. Unless you are saving tiffs the size of the file on disk is likely less than the size of the file in memory which will be pixel wide * pixel high * 3 (* another 2 if 16 bit) /(1024x1024) MB plus working space which might be a fair bit.

You could mention it to Hamrick - if it is a very old scanner then they may have an idea. I don't know how often (or even how) they can test the zillions of old scanners their software supports.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Software issues is the first thing that comes to mind, the hardware sounds capable and the files ar small and the problem is only with scanning.
    Some sort of conflict with the older scanner... any chance of borrowing a newer one to test? Would be silly to buy a new one just to find out it was not the scanner...

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Does the software use a scratch disk?
    Some apps such as Photoshop use a disk to store files whilst they are processed. Sometimes the ability to write to this disk is limited after it becomes full (it should clear after writing) so this could be an issue - check to see if it uses a scratch disc, or check the capacity of your disk top see if it seems to have less space than you would expect.

I can recall sometime in the past Photoshop or something similar had issues when I created several large TIFF files, the system slowing to a standstill.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you uninstall and reload the scanner software, particularly if it has been updated a couple of times. It shouldn't make any difference but for some reason, some times, it does.