1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC help - desktop won't start!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Paul_R, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I must have missed the bit where Paul said he wanted run old apps as well as new apps which got us down the road of dual-booting... :D

If you don't need to run two OSes then why bother? Security in XP Pro and using named accounts with appropriate privileges can solve most security/access issues on a shared PC.

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Paul did not say that he wanted dual booting.

I was merely offering it as a suggestion.

I suggested it as an option if he wanted to run any `old` apps that do not run on XP

3. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Well, just received a call tonight from the PC Doctor. New 500GB hard drive arrived and fitted and software being re-installed. Got to give him a call tomorrow as its expected to be ready to be collected :) Roll on tomorrow :)

4. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Computer picked-up today and up and running again....yippee :D I now just need to get it all set-up as I like it, desktop, folders etc. Didn't bother with partitioning the drive in the end.

I bought a new 500GB Seagate internal hard drive for £75 and paid the PC Doctor £25. One thing I have noticed with regard to the new 500GB drive is that looking at it under 'Properties' it shows the disc size as 465GB. I know the size is always shown as smaller than the stated size because of...well, I just know it is, but does the figure of 465GB sound about right to you more experienced PC bods out there?

5. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

I have a Seagate 320Gig that shows the size as 299Gig. Have no idea why, but if you look at it percentage wize, it probably looks about right! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

465GB is about right. It's a result of binary arithmetic. A Kilobyte is 1,024 Bytes etc so a Gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 Bytes.

It suits disc manufacturers to round to 1,000 because it makes their discs look bigger, so you haven't really got 500 GBytes but 500,000,000,000 Bytes. If you multiply 465 x 1,073,741,824 you get very close to 500,000,000,000 Bytes. Your display is rounding to the nearest GByte. I don't know how you are examining the disc properties, but on my machine it shows both Bytes and GBytes.

7. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the good old confusion between k(ilo) in the metric world which means 1000 and k(ilo) in the computer world which means 2<sup>10</sup> or 1024.

8. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the explanation. I knew there was a reason why it was less than the stated disc size, just couldn't remember the 'finer details' :D Anyway, 465 seems to be the 'norm' so that's ok.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice on this subject.

9. Gordon_McGeachie

Yippeee up and running again at last, I hope that you dont get any more trouble now.. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just think of all that space........

10. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

This is something I am going to look into a bit more once I get everything sorted on my pc. I might need to pick your brains once I start reading up on things, David ;)

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

:D Yes, at last :D Fingers crossed Gordon....no more trouble!

P.S. All that space is wonderful :D

12. Gordon_McGeachie

I have a 120 inside and a 250 outside, seems to keep me right .

But for how long??

13. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Shhhhh. Don't say it too loud ;)