1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paterson FX-50

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by brian_parker, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Hi everyone
    I've been using Paterson FX-50 to develop Fujifilm Acros 100 film with excellent results. As I'm running out, I thought I would restock, but no-one has any. Looks like Paterson are moving out of chemical manufacture. Anyone know where this is available?
    Thanks
    Bri

2. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

I have a recollection that Paterson experienced difficulty with the company that actually made their chemicals, and as a result were pulling out of chemicals altogether. I hope that I have mis-understood the position...

I was caught out this way some years ago, and have now standardised on a developer that I can, if necessary, make up myself.

Geoffrey Crawley did publish the formula for Acutol-S when that was taken off the market so that people could still use it, so perhaps history will (if necessary) repeat itself.

3. Thanks Stephen
    My understanding is as you say. One supplier I tried said the manufacturers have ceased to make it, no doubt for reasons of economics. It's a great pity, because FX-50 is environmentally friendly - no problems of disposal down the drains, as well as its fine grain characteristics.
    I wonder if Geoffrey Crawley would be willing to publish the formula in AP if I send an email to them?
    In the meantime, I shall ask my local Jessops to do a trawl of their shops to see if there is any lurking in a cupboard somewhere.
    Bri

4. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Arem still list it on their website, so if you haven't tried there, take a look.

http://www.arempublishing.co.uk/

Arem Publishing Ltd
    20 St Peters Road
    Croydon
    Surrey
    CR0 1HD
    UK

Telephone: 020 8686 3282 Fax: 020 8681 0662

5. Thanks Stephen
    I rang them and they don't have any left.
    Appreciate knowing about them though, and I will save their website for future reference.
    Best wishes
    Bri

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I would also be interested in the Formula for FX 50. I found the one for Acutol - S amd am going to try that soon. I love making up my own chemical formulae for developers !

7. Jessops told me they have some in their York store, and it's on its way to my local store (Beverley)
    I've emailed AP to ask if Geoffrey Crawley would be willing to publish the formula.
    Bri