1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Past the use by?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

This morning I was woken by the tlelphone to find the caller was a gentleman (?) from the sub continent purporting to be from the "Windows Technical department" needless to say he barely finished those words before I hit the off button; nowadays I only seem to get one a month, along with the prerecorded "panic" style "This is an important ... ... ... ones and the Nigerian millionaires looking for help in transferring their money.

Do the perpetrators not realise we're wise to them, you'd think they'd cross our number off their lists after the first few failed attmpts.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a government funded job creation scheme... :confused:

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can report that some people are NOT wise to them, or, if they do suspect that all is not entirely legit, are sufficiently vulnerable to be pressured into agreeing to things they ought not to. A colleague told me recently that her own mother had very nearly falled for the 'We've noticed that your PC has been hacked...' scam and if she hadn't been visiting her mother at the time and overheard one half of the conversation is quite sure her mother would have believed every word.

Touch wood (she says, tapping her own head) I haven't had any of these for a while. We went through a spate of 'accidents you were in three years ago', 'package holidays where you had food poisoning' and 'PPI you were misold' (none of which I've ever had, been on or bought) for a while there but they seem to have dried up a bit. I wish I had the time/energy/wit to keep them engaged and waste their time and frustrate them as much as they waste mine/frustrate me but usually, as soon as there's that tell tale pause between picking up the phone and a voice appearing, I simply hang up now.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I get all the usual ones, plus the occasional "we are calling about your recent car accident".

I don't own a car. Or drive. And I try to avoid having accidents!

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

For the first time ever (for me) I got one by post today.

Apparently a long lost relative left me $12 million in a Chinese bank. I have to agree to split it with the kind gentleman who wrote to me!!

MickLL

SXH likes this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one who got that one! Mind you, it was a couple of years ago. I think I've still got it somewhere.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I inherited from my father a Southern Railway guard's whistle, type 'Acme Thunderer'. A blast of that and such calls cease immediately. Otherwise I let my 'spam filter', aka answering machine see off such callers.

Lynn

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

When you get the windows guy on the phone read him the letter from China and see if they can sort it out amongst themselves.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If there is a slight delay before anyone speaks, I sometimes tell them "Llandegfan Police Station, Sergeant Williams speaking" or something similar. The sounds of panic and confusion at the other end are wonderful to hear, and I doubt if they will report me for imitating the police.

S

Geren likes this.
  10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I can see how that would be very amusing. The whistle thing...I believe in the UK they could have you on charges of something - assault probably.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Alternatively, if you're able to you play along with them until you start to tire, at which point you start saying hings like ,"No, don't see anything," "Not working here," gradually winding the caller up until you feel it's time for the coup de grace - "Actually my computer's an Apple/ Linux etc..............." Cue sound of 'Windows' caller slamming down phone!

Lynn

Geren likes this.
  12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I just answer in Welsh. Generally seems to do the trick.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A good thing is to ask them who they really work for because they most certainly don't work for "Windows".
    Also worth remembering that Microsoft support won't initiate a call so it can't be them.

14. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I run Linux and have done that on several occasions. The last one called me a very rude word and cut off. :)

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Every so often I think about waiting until they've got started and then saying something like "You do realise that you've dialled the Microsoft Computer Crime Investigation Department?" Trouble is I've forgotten the idea by the time one of them calls :(

Geren and Trannifan like this.
  16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dave had fun with them/ My favourite was the time he let the guy talk for 30 seconds then said "You must have the wrong number I don't have a computer"

The reply was: "You must have! Everyone has one! Perhaps it's in another room and you didn't notice it!"

He was a terror with those calls I am surprised they didn't put him on a blacklist

His personal best was after repeatedly being talked over by this guy, whilst he was trying to be polite he lost it and told the buy to "F**k off!" and slammed the phone down.

Seconds later the phone rang and it was the cold caller again he yelled: "You can't tell me to f**k off! You f**k off!"

Trannifan likes this.
  17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

It doesn't stop them all - but registering with the TPS does reduce the calls you get

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

We only get 'research organisations just carrying out a survey on behalf of ....' which is a loophole a few use. Never had the PC scam (feel a bit sad about that), or anything else.

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I once had someone call me on my mobile while I was at work. They were offering me the amazing chance to reduce my bills if I would just sign up and swap my bank account (or something - it's a while ago now.) I politely said no thank you and he did his level best to talk me into staying on the phone with a series of prescribed lines so I just hung up on him. Then he phoned me back and asked if I was 'f'ing stupid ? Why wouldn't I switch to him and save myself money - it must be because I was f'ing stupid.... etc.' Now, I was never about to do something drastic like change my bank account over the phone on the say so of a cold caller but why anyone would think I'd rush to bank with someone calling me 'f'ing stupid' over and over is quite beyond me.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not the most convincing sales tactic. I don't answer my mobile unless the number is an existing contact. If they are genuine they leave a message.

Geren likes this.
  20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I had a call from talk talk this morning, it was probabably quite genuine... I will never know...
    I told them that than when I want to talk to talk talk I will phone them.

I see no reason to respond to cold calling.