1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parental...

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Rasha, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I was in a cave by a beach near Portimao (Algarve) when I noticed this baby seagull and one of its parents, the other one was screaming around us, so I am not sure if it's mama or papa but anyhow, the question is, does this crop work??

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

As a general image the crop is fine. If intended as a natural history picture it could be argued that the subjects are a little small in the frame - environmental context is always good but the balance has to be right and here I suspect it's a little too much in favour of the scenery. For an NH image it could also possibly do with more interaction between parent and chick but in this case I suspect that you are the parent bird's primary concern and that's where the it's attention is fixed.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Poor little critter has obviously fallen out of a nest somewhere above and will probably get eaten. Did you see the sequel?

4. KrystalsGrandad2502

KrystalsGrandad2502 Well-Known Member

I really like negative space images and this falls into that category perfectly. To me personally it's a wonderful image.

Something I was wondering though is what angle you were at when you took the image? It looks as if you have a slight angle so possibly crouched or looking down a little bit.

Shaun

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Works fine for me: the balance between the subject and the surroundings is very good indeed.

Cheers,

R.

6. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

The intention was to capture the surrounding as well, but do you mean something like that??
    [​IMG]

Yeah basically the chick seemed like it was learning to walk and balance, the parent (supposedly was watching) like the photo above; the chick was roaming around and beneath the adult who was supervising the process. I can only tell that the screaming from the other parent (my assumption aswell) stopped once I started moving away...

I was definitely crouched a bit even if I was standing in the water I was still taller...

Thank you :)

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting, but I think the poor parent was just sticking by it, with no idea how to get it back to the nest. Minute it turned its back something would have nabbed it, possibly another kind of gull.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Or the incoming tide!

9. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea they eat each others chicks...I didn't even realise I wasn't their only worry.