1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panning - tack sharp or blurred

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by AdrianSadlier, May 12, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

I used to. But then I realized how hopelessly I was outnumbered.

Cheers,

R.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The photograph would be stronger as one of a set in similar style. I like it.

AdrianSadlier and Roger Hicks like this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Going back to the shot as far as I'm concerned there's no argument that it's clearly panned and there's nothing wrong with the amount of blur - the usual advice when breaking the 'rules' is make it clear that the effect, in this case the motion blur, is deliberate, which it clearly is, rather than poor technique - if the numpty you are debating with can't tell the difference then he's no photographer, no matter what he thinks...:D

My only quibble is with the timing; while the body shape is perfect the head is rather less so - sadly, to me, it looks like it's been partially decapitated with a shotgun blast and I find it too misshapen and quite un-doglike...:(

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I sold a print once so that makes me a professional and I like the shot, so there! :D;)

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Ooh - ooh -ooh. I gave a picture to a bloke at work and he bought me tea from the canteen. Does that make me a professional too? :D

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Sure does. :D Should we unionise?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember a case in the papers, many years ago, of a 10 year old child being disciplined by the amateur athletics board of, I think, Scotland because she accepted some sweets for winning an event at a local show, and that technically (according to them) made her a professional. They may even have thrown her out of the amatuer athletics club/whatever.

There was quite a big fuss about it and, iirc, the board backed down in the end.

AdrianSadlier and beatnik69 like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Professionals built the Titanic. Noah, on the other hand, was an amateur.

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Mind you, as Harland and Wolff said, "It was all right when it left us."

AdrianSadlier and beatnik69 like this.
  10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Sorreee! No way. The coal bunker fire was already blazing away.:eek: