1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix GX7 Compact System Camera

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by PhotoEcosse, Feb 8, 2014.

1. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

That does seem steep. Have you tried Novoflex?

I'm not 100% certain they do one for your lens but I'd be surprised if they don't. I have Minolta, Olympus and Canon FD Novoflex adapters and all work well. They cost about £100. Failing that I'm pretty sure you'll find an adapter on a certain auction site beginning with "e" for £10 or so. I have several and all work well enough.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

A welcome return to Dr Dust, even if the title has disappeared in the forum make-over; with an adapter and a lens to fit, that's twice as much opportunity for dust to get in the lens, though.

Have we found Panasonic's dust-reducing sensor-cleaning vibration system to be effective, and is it getting better with each new model?

3. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Thanks. I 'Googled' Novoflex but I could not see a Leica M to GX7 adapter. I had previously seen the real? thing on Amazon for a similar price to the Novoflex units together with some very much cheaper versions. The 50mm Summicron is the only Leica lens I am ever likely to own and the thought of mating it with a poorly machined Chinese(?) copy of the Panasonic adapter and not being able to get it off again is the stuff of nightmares.

Picking up on the earlier part of the thread my first impressions of the kit lens are that it produces some decent photos. If only the manual for the camera had not been written in a scatter gun approach.

Too early to comment on dust Ivor but we shall see! - John

4. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Hello, hope all is well with you... make the most of me while I'm here :D

I use adapted lenses on my Micro Four Thirds cameras and my Sony A7 and dust bunnies just don't seem to be a problem and both systems are much better - dramatically so - than any of the Canon DSLR's I've owned.

It's just not something I worry about these days.

5. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

You don't want a Leica M to GX7 converter, you want M to MFT.

Try here and select Leica M...

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/body_adaptors/novoflex_micro_four_thirds_adaptor/19226_p.html

£125.

Also, typing Leica M to MFT into an auction site beginning with "e" should get you some results.

The cheap auction site adapters may be a lottery but I've bought several and all have been perfectly acceptable. You do realise that your 50mm lens will give a 100mm field of view on a GX7 as it's x2 crop? It's a nice thing to have and I've taken a lot of 50mm shots with MFT cameras but you could also think about picking up a used Olympus 25mm f1.8 MFT lens as they can be found for in the region of £150 (or you could buy a new one...) and it's an excellent lens. You could also take a look at the Panasonic 20mm f1.7. I have both and the 20mm f1.7 is by far my most used lens on my GX7 as it makes such a compact and versatile package.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

It's still £219 (!) on the Wex website, alan. ;):) I found a M>mF/T adaptor made by Metabones for £20 on fleaBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METABONES...443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20faa9538b

Are Metabones any good? Reputable?

The Novoflex one isn't listed there (at Wex) but Speed Graphic are probably a better source for such things as you rightly suggest. Cheers, Oly

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

8. Grierson

Yes, thanks again Alan. The 'Leica M to GX7' was just my shorthand when writing the post, I did try a number of combinations. I appreciate that the 50mm lens will be effectively 100mm because of the crop however I have the lens and I've no plans currently to add to the inventory. It passed through my mind that I could buy an adapter and put my 16-35mm f2.8 Canon on the front but the thought did not linger. :) That would certainly negate my quest for a lighter setup!! - John

9. Grierson

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I have adapters from these guys including a set of EF- Macro tubes that are perfectly fine - if you need a recommendation:)

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well there's not a lot to go wrong with such a thing - it's basically a short extension tube. I have an M to Canon EF-M one that I got on ebay, it's cheap, cheerful and works a treat.

I certainly wouldn't have second thoughts about SRB, they do things properly.

12. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

If the thought crosses your mind again remember that if your lens doesn't have an aperture ring you'll need a way to change the aperture.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There are adaptors with a diaphragm in them. Heaven only knows how well they perform.

14. Grierson

Of course, that did not register as I typed. As Nick says there are apparently adapters which do have data links but they're probably best avoided. :D - John

15. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

What he's referring to are dumb adapters that have a built in aperture mechanism... so you mount your aperture ring-less lens on the adapter and use the adapters built in aperture...

and there are some adapters which enable electronic control and even AF focus. These are often expensive and the AF is often slow. I've no idea if any are available for eos to MFT.

Personally I'd forget the whole thing and stick to either native MFT lenses or fully manual ones.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yup. Look a bit rubbish to me.

Nor me.

Indeed.

17. 0lybacker

And some, Nick, that claim to increase lens speed. Can't imagine how that works. Cheers, Oly

18. 0lybacker

Hi alanS, you will also need a lens with a focusing helicoid unless you want to limit your picture taking with fixed focus & use of depth of field. Some do, apparently, or add in some sort of additional lens><sensor distance variation capability. Cheers, Oly

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In precisely the reverse way as a teleconverter - these are wideconverters. The physical aperture remains the same size, the focal length is reduced, so the F number reduces.

From very early days, I always wondered why these things didn't exist - now they do.

20. Grierson

You're probably right!

With apologies to Kipling '.. and never the twain shall meet' :D
    [​IMG]