1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix GX7 Compact System Camera

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by PhotoEcosse, Feb 8, 2014.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

As a confirmed Nikon dSLR user (currently D800, D800E and D7100), I wanted a smaller, lighter camera for short overseas "hand-baggage only" trips.

I don't have the technical expertise or an optical laboratory to give an objective User Review but, after a couple of months of using it, I can certainly recommend the GX7 to anyone who, like me, wants a lighter, smaller alternative to their usual dSLR kit or, indeed, anyone who wants a smaller camera as their No.1 tool.

What really impresses me is the electronic viewfinder. I don't think I will ever get used to holding a camera at arms-length and composing a photo on the rear screen (iPhone style), so having an EVF that almost matches the speed and efficiency of an optical viewfinder is a big bonus.

In terms of image quality, you would have to get above the level of an A3 print before you would discern any difference between the GX7 and a Nikon dSLR.

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm also a confirmed Nikon user. However, if there was only a Canon to hand I'd happily use it. Thanks for your thoughts on the GX7 - which I found interesting.

3. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Great to be a Non-comformist when you don't have to worry about Confirmation and can use any gear. :eek:

4. Nytsom

Nytsom Well-Known Member

I like the look of the Panasonic range of Mirror-Less Cameras. I looked at the GX7; but it's still a wee bit pricey at present; are there any really good deals about for the GX7 ?? with lens.

5. 0lybacker

If the past two or three years at FOCUS are anything to go by and if The Photography Show retail exhibitors follow previous behaviour at FOCUS, then there may be some really good Panny deals to be had at the NEC *. The GX1 was on offer for silly money last year or the year before: IIRC it was £249. I nearly succumbed, even though I would have wanted/had to buy the (expensive & losable) accessory EVF as well. It was the prospect of a Nikon P7100, with built in OZVF, for equally silly money that prevented me.

I do like Pannys. Still cannot bear to part with my LX2 although it sits unused most of the time. Not right for a camera, that! My Canon using pro-friend does, too; he & his wife acquired new ones - G6 & GM1 at Christmas. Nikon Norman has had a GF1 since they first came out and has shot pro video on his. :)

I like them when they have red dots on, too! ;):D

(That's quite enough fan-boy-ism for now!)

*And not just at the NEC. Cameraworld were willing to match the show offers in their shops, IIRC, for a whole week.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. Nytsom

Nytsom Well-Known Member

Oly, I enjoyed reading you post's on the Panasonic, always good to hear from someone who owns and uses the equipment.

Ah, Cannot get to the NEC Photography Show next weekend! But I would very much like to read your feedback from the show (that's if your attending the show?) and any links to a good deal on the GX7, would be appreciated.

Thanks

7. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

Just upgraded from GF1 to GX7, 3 days ago.

For those who asked, there is a good deal on at the moment. GX7 + 14-42 = £549 from Park Cameras + free 45-150 lens + 2 year guarantee from Panny when you register your purchase with them (online - easy to do). Offer ends at end of August 2014.

Thrilled to bits with the camera. Much snappier focusing, and more precise spot focus. Love the position of the tiltable EVF, on the extreme left of body, which means your nose never touches the screen (leaving smears!) but helps to support left side of camera and gives better hand-held stabilty.

Tiltable EVF great for tripod use.

Love the option of electronic shutter (silent) which gives 40 (yes, forty) frames/second - has to be tried to be believed.

Better grip, enables single hand shooting. Better space for right-hand thumb, means less accidental pressing of buttons.

Battery compartment accessible even with tripod plate attached - no more unscrewing of plate to change battery or card.

Image quality a vast improvement over my 5 year-old GF1.

Loads of choices right through menu system, 4 function buttons, easy to personalise most settings - still playing with it and learning more.

Only use the screen occasionally, so nice to be able to turn it off but leave EVF on auto-detect so that it comes to life when brought up to the eye.

If anyone has specific questions, please ask, I'll do my best to answer.

Regards, Mike

8. Derek_R

Derek_R Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike. I really like the look of the GX7. I'm using a GF1 and a G3 at the moment and I reckon come the time my photography warrants an upgrade a GX7 might well be in the running. Cheers, Derek

9. 0lybacker

Mike, thanks from me, too. The GX7 along with Fuji's X-T1 have the best EVFs that I have encountered so far; the OM-D E-M10 is notably inferior although not that far behind. I'm very tempted. My brain is aching with options ... the LX7 is a tasty bit of kit, too. One almost needs both. :eek:

Assume the 14-42 is the power zoom version. How do you get on with that?

Photographer pal 'Nikon Norman' got an early GF1 a few years back specifically to shoot pro video for low definition looping experiments. They went well and he thinks so well of the camera that he bought another for the family and yet another when that was lost & the insurance payout came!

He's been dribbling & lusting around and over the GX7 since before The Photography Show. ;) And 'Canon Chris' agrees, but he's been using Panny compacts & Bridges in his family for yonks.

Cheers,
    Oly

10. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

At that price I doubt the 14-42 is the power zoom.
    I got the Power zoom version for my GX1 and I never use it - the zoom function is way to slow for my liking (I gather it was designed with videography in mind) and it is very hard to get the framing I want and find myself repeatedly flicking the zoom switch backwards and forwards to get it right. The manual zoom if far, far quicker and much less hassle.

11. BikerMike

No, it isn't the power zoom - it's manual. I wouldn't like the power zoom because a) it's slow, and b) it just eats up battery.

You are right and I agree all round with your opinion of power zooms. Not only too slow, but they also move in little jerks when you are fine tuning the zoom. Manuals are smoother.

Regards, Mike

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  12. 0lybacker

Oooh, even more tempting. Am not keen for the same reasons as you but the power zoom on my LX2 compact has always worked very well - smooth & precise - compared to some other makes. The PZ lens is compact, which always goes down well with me.

Bizarrely, Jessops are doing £200 off the body but only sell a limited range of lenses (about 17) and do not include the manual zoom. One up to Park Cameras and just down the road and round the corner, too!

13. PhotoEcosse

Having started the thread, just a wee update:

Several months farther down the line, I now find that the lens I use most on the GX7 (by far) is the 20mm f/1.7 - it is a really great "street" lens and just the right focal length at "slightly wider than standard".

The one I use next frequently is the 45-200mm, followed, a fair distance behind, by the 12-32mm.

14. macjackson

macjackson Member

I know it's a year on from the last entry but I'm interested in the gx7. Is the kit zoom lens any good? I have noticed that reviews don't use kit lens. They seem to use very high quality lens that frankly don't tell the whole story. Very unfair on consumers.

15. PhotoEcosse

I don't know the answer to that.

When I bought the camera, it was offered with a choice of kit lenses - the 20mm prime or a 14-42mm zoom. I chose the 20mm which is a great kit lens. I later added a 12-32mm zoom which I don't use very much. I already had a 45-200mm.

16. BikerMike

I have the kit zoom lens and still don't know the answer to that. :(

It seems as good as any other lens I've had, and has never given me any cause for concern. I don't pixel peep or worry too much as long as my pics look sharp on A4.

If it bothers you, I suggest you read the review below, which concludes the 14-42 is "average" for a kit lens, and given its price, is "pretty good value".

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gx7/panasonic-gx7A4.HTM

Regards, Mike

17. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

GX7 + kit lens seems even better value at £449 (with cash back) but presumably a replacement is on the way in the not too distant future.

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I had the 14-42mm on me G3 and upgraded sideways to the older 14-45mm which is a sharper lens and is more sought after.

Unless you are pixel obsessed you won't really see the difference (says a lot for me doesn't it? ;)) and as all kit zooms, there are no really bad ones these dqys, and all kit zooms are a little ropey at the very widest and most zoomed in parts of their focal range... If they weren't we'd never need another lens :) It does the job you need it to in getting the light on the sensor, anything else you will need specific glass for.

19. 0lybacker

Back at Christmastime, it was available at £469 but with a spare battery, a £50 cashback plus a bonus doubling of the cashback. :) It might be worth checking 2014 & 2013 (and previously?) to see if Panasonic have a consistent habit of doing summer price cuts, cashbacks, incentives, etc.

GX7 is now relatively old as new digital cameras go.

20. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Ay I know it's old but pursuing my quest for a light weight CSC I thought it was a reasonable price to pay. What is not reasonable is the laughable and mind blowing price of £219.00 that WEX want for an adapter to fit my Summicron 50mm to the front of the GX7. Put 'developed under support of Leica Camera AG' in your ad. and boy does it attract a premium. I just wonder who pays these prices.