1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix G Series timeline needed

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by pixelpuffin, Sep 11, 2017.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a couple of used Lumix bodys (GF1 & G2) which came boxed and complete with 2 lenses, the 20mm and 14-45.
    I already had the Lumix LVF1 finder from my LX5 compact.

The Panasonic G series is completely new to me as my other cameras are the Canon DSLRs 5D & 7D . However after much soul searching I have decided to heavily cut back the canon gear, hence the arrival of the Panasonics.

It's early days for me, as the GF1 and 14-45 were the first to arrive I thought it was great (still do) but the LVF1 is a sure hazard when mounted, twice I managed to nudge it whilst fitted. So, realising I was missing a prime I spotted a deal with a mintish G2 and 20mm. I am now smitten. I love the lightness, small size and the great lens. I'm especially keen on using manual focus. I had read of how the image is magnified either in the viewfinder or LCD to aid precise focusing. Having now used it, I think it'll be staying around for a while....It's brilliant.

Both G's were purchased to encourage me to take more pictures as the heavy DSLR kit is always off putting and the little sony HX30 is great for family days out but fiddly when I want to take over.

I'm playing and using the G2 at every opportunity and learning more each time. Whilst I'm perfectly happy to continue with what I have, I'd like to read up on what other models in the M34 G series can offer. Specifically the AF speed and IS0 ability.

Does anyone have a link that details all the models past and present that Panasonic have made. I have absolutely no idea what the differences are between the G, GF, GH and GX.

Anybody?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

3. pixelpuffin

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Panasonic#Micro_four-thirds

Essentially they are:

G; SLR style cameras with eye level electronic viewfinder.
    GF; Compact style camera with no EVF - focusing and composition are done via the rear screen as with a typical compact camera
    GH; An upmarket version of the G types with enhanced controls and features, particularly with regard to video where it comes close to being a crossover between a stills camera and a dedicated video camera. Surprisingly large for an m4/3rds camera.
    GX; Compact/rangefinder style cameras with EVF. Features appear to be similar to G series bodies of similar vintage.
    There was also a GM series which seems to have died off after two models, these were ultra compact style cameras very similar in size to high end fixed lens compacts.

Broadly speaking the higher the first digit of model number the more recent it is. Some of the latest models now include sensor based image stabilisation offering the option of image stabilisation with Olympus lenses

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I use a G2 and a GM5. The G2 has the nicest EVF I've ever tried. Your mileage will of course vary depending on your eyesight and tastes. The GM5 seems to me to be the digital realisation of what the Leica screw mount cameras set out to be. It's tiny and lightweight as well as being fast in operation. Why Panasonic gave up on these I don't know.

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3430.JPG

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I suspect that sales struggled against top end compacts with 1" sensors which while fractionally bigger generally have a bigger focal range. While the GM5 can of course use longer lenses the need to carry extra lenses to equal the range of fixed lens compacts rather offsets the size advantage of the GM body...

7. Andrew Flannigan

A 12-150mm on a GM-5 would be a killer combination. As it is I have 2 lenses on 2 bodies to cover the same range and it works well for me.

8. pixelpuffin

It's nice, but the new generation of EVF's found on the Sony compact are incredible. I bought the HX80...it's unbelievable. I'm selling though, as it's made me realise how much difference the viewfinder aids composition. Hence the arrival of the G2 :)

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

But a 12-150 lens wouldn't exactly be small though which would rather defeat the object of the ultra compact body - there was a reason the kit lens had a modest 12-32mm lens and a collapsible one at that...;)

10. Andrew Flannigan

You're quite right. Carrying a second body means I also have a spare if required. :D