1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Lumix FZ100

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by woodworm(21), Apr 13, 2019.

1. woodworm(21)

woodworm(21) New Member

Hello Everyone

I'm new to the forum and have come on here hoping someone can give me a bit of information.

I’ve got a Panasonic Lumix FZ100 and the LCD has started playing up, sometimes when I open it there is no focus image in other words the screen is just black and other times it works fine.

I have read it can be a common fault on these cameras, anyway I thought I'd have a go at fixing it myself, first off I can't find any videos on the FZ100 only on similar models does anyone out there have a link to a video showing how to take the LCD apart on the FZ100?

I’ve also been looking for a replacement LCD and was presented with some saying LCD with no backlight, I haven’t got a clue if mine is backlite or not does anyone know if they are?

My thanks to anyone who can shed some light

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Before you take it apart are you sure you're not touching the EVF/LCD button unintentionally? It's easily done with such a small body.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it is an intermittent fault it sounds like a loose connection. Tapping it (gently) in the right direction (experimentation needed) might get it working again.

Google came up with a utube video link dated 2015 with a French title and a list of Panasonic models starting with the Fz100. Backlit probably means different connectors - the pictures I saw showed a multi-connector rather than individual wires - so you probably need a genuine part. With all these things, if it's truly broke you can't make it worse by fiddling if you like doing that kind of thing. Also s/h models are probably cheap. You are probably better off getting something more up-to-date.

4. woodworm(21)

woodworm(21) New Member

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your reply, I wish it was that simple
    Hello Andrew

I wish it was that simple sadly not, I wear glasses so I don’t tend to use the evf but I’ve just checked it again just to make sure my hands aren’t all over the buttons and I’ve still got the problem.

Thank you for your reply

5. woodworm(21)

woodworm(21) New Member

Hello Pete

You’ve hit the nail on the head, yes it is intermittent I’ve just tried waggling the screen very gently when it's not showing an image and suddenly bingo its on again, so I’m assume it’s a connection issue.

I’m only guessing here, but these screens take a fair bit of opening and closing besides being able to twist them into various positions so I can imagine them packing up at some point.

This brings me back to knowing if mine is backlit or not, I suppose I could take the lcd off and have a look at how many ribbon cables its got, mind I’m not sure if that would help me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It is probably always one ribbon cable, but a different type according to the LCD variant. I have no idea what the functional life of a variable angle lcd is, I would suppose it is designed to withstand a certain number of movements.

I have an old (2012 is old these days) ipad with a loose connection to the touchscreen. Usually it goes "dead" but last week lost "blue" which looked pretty horrid. I usually drop it onto the bed a few times until it works again.

7. woodworm(21)

woodworm(21) New Member

Hi Pete guess I will just have to keep looking or contact one of the sellers to see if they know.
    You said that you drop your ipad onto the bed if its playing up.
    I don't fancy lugging a bed around with me all day long, mind you it might come in handy if I get a bit tired during the day LOL