1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMC-G6 Review - Errors and Omissions

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by The_Guru, Jun 12, 2013.

1. The_Guru

The_Guru Member

In the Ian Burley review of the Panason DMC-G6, he states on page 49 that there is no port for an external microphone. This is incorrect as there is a 3.5mm socket. In addition, there was no mention of the new focus-peaking feature on this model.

2. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

I have the G5 and the differences would not tempt me to buy the G6

3. The_Guru

The_Guru Member

A very good and thorough review of the G6 is available online at:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/index.shtml

Additional features not mentioned in the AP review include:

1. An auto-panorama mode.

2. A time-lapse movie mode, with MP4 video created in camera from individual still images.

3. Synchronisation of the camera clock with a GPS clock in a smartphone for geotagging images.

4. Improved video capabilities compared to the (unhacked) GH2 but it does not use the full capabilities of the multi-aspect ratio sensor, just like the GH3.

It appears superior, in all operational respects, to the Panasonic G5 but the sensor technology is identical. Therefore, photographs taken may not necessarily reflect the numerous improvements made, unless these new features enable an excellent image to be more easily captured under difficult circumstances - manual focusing, low light levels etc. The next revolution may result from the tie-up between Fuji and Panasonic, to develop superior organic (carbon-based), high dynamic range, low noise sensor technology but others, such as Sony and Canon, might get there first?

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

The test report was written in such a disjointed style that I gave up.

I looked at the Competition panel and the Verdict just as the middle page detached and fell out. The statement "--the Sony Nex 6, which has a better sensor-----" and "the fallibility of some of the controls is also a concern " were so so juvenile they were better ignored.

Bring back Tim Coleman please.

5. thornrider

Have just read another bit of this report by trying to deal with the convoluted writing style - it just gets worse and worse.

"With their smaller than average sensors micro four thirds cameras have earned a reputation for higher than average noise and narrower than average dynamic range"

6. Jim Moriarty

Jim Moriarty Well-Known Member

They have indeed.

For someone who quotes Mohandas K I've noticed you're not very tolerant.

7. thornrider

The magazine was bought with good money - we shouldn't have to compromise or praise it as though it was a first attempt at an essay in school. The test is not to the same standard as it was from those who have disappeared recently.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

So, I'm not the only one to notice the change in personnel at AP Towers...

And, the centre of my copy fell out.

9. thornrider

It's probably completely wrong - but I picture a central IPC staff writing articles and taking photographs for every conceivable publication - and then collating them in different sets on different style wizards for specifically named magazines.

One day there will be a mistake and a test on an N Gauge model locomotive will appear in our mag.

Maybe even "How to photograph your train layout" or "Group Test of cameras for fishing" or 'X Factor winner spotted buying a Hasselbald Lunar"

Nah - pure imagination. :)

10. OM_Man

OM_Man Member

Inevitably. Why break the habit of all your other posts? :(

11. thornrider

OOOOO Yes. Really pleased to me you. :)

Go kick a cat or something. :)

12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

The middle of mine fell out again, that's every week; when are management going to do something about it? It's the only magazine I buy that has this problem. Perhaps they are waiting for the price to go up, so that they can tell us that they have solved the problem, used better paper, used a better printer, etc.

Rant over - for now.

As for the review, I didn't take much notice after the page fell out!

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. OM_Man

OM_Man Member

And you dare to complain about other people's English?

What an utterly charmless person you are. You're obnoxious towards AP staff and wrong with it, a hypocrite (see above) to boot. Nice. :(

15. thornrider

I should say sorry I suppose. It's just a reaction to pig headed rudeness and non-specific criticism couched as profane personal remarks. It just gets to me that all. A true forum member who had done better than 25 posts in 7 years would have pointed out what he meant - your views on education ? - your views on camera choice? - my posting along with many others asking on a thread for what english language usages annoy them ?

Explain.

PS. Have just reviewed your posts in total. Just about everything you have ever posted has been a verbal attack on someone. Just relax.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

With all due respect, I think you've already taken the biscuit for "pig-headed rudeness" in your assault on the professional credibility of an AP staffer. Further, I can't detect a hint of profanity in any post - please explain by PM to me or any other Moderator where you've detected it. Be that as it may, if you, OM Man or anybody else has an issue with a post, please press the "Report Post" button rather than try to battle it out on here. Everybody else manages it - thanks. A continuation of the childish behaviour displayed by some in this thread will lead to it being locked.

17. The_Guru

The_Guru Member

Pages 45-47 also fell out of my copy of AP, when reading the article for the second time! I hope that at least the online review will be corrected, in order to remove the error regarding use of an external microphone and to highlight the new focus-peaking feature.

It was a poor test, particularly when compared with the online one linked in my second post and must have annoyed Panasonic, who advertise in the magazine. The reviewer will have to make his own excuses to the management and improve his performance, so I'm not going to kick him further because we all have the odd off-day.

I will probably buy a Panasonic G6 and I hope that not too many readers were deterred by the inaccuracies but it just proves that you shouldn't trust a single source to obtain the required information, in order to make a balanced decision.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  18. The_Guru

The_Guru Member

I don't have access to the online copy of AP so can anyone tell me, in the absence of any comments by AP staff, if the test has been updated to correct the original inaccuracy and/or expanded to include the missing features? It would be sensible, in this instance, to make this updated test freely available on the website, given that the original may have misled readers.

19. Roy5051

Here we go again, taking umbrage because someone dares to criticise an "AP staffer". Nobody, even "AP staffers" are infallible, and everyone has an off-day. Let's put this to bed right now.

20. Roy5051

Having now read the review, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. Whilst a couple of features appear not to have been mentioned (see original post), what has been written seems to me like an honest appraisal of the camera. It does not pander to an advertiser, it points out the camera's strengths and weaknesses, and is, on the whole, well written.

Ian Burley does not appear in the Editorial Team listing on Page 90, so perhaps he is a new recruit. Let's give the guy a chance, chaps (and chapesses).:)