1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxford Meet Spring 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Nice to hear that you guys had a good time but I can't let that reference go by without mentioning, not for the first time, a hole Mr Cribbens would have been proud to know...

:D :D :D

[​IMG]

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I didn't dare tell him his violin had the horn...

[​IMG]
    http://s726.photobucket.com/user/gray1721/media/_DSC2404_zpsn6xpgz7p.jpg.html

Actually it's a Stroh Violin or Violinophone, but it's very Steampunk, isn't it?

I have to say that a 55mm lens on a DX sensor turned out to be a PITA, I was forever backing into people trying to get everything in. Maybe I'll try the 28mm next time... The other thing is that I have the camera set for a single metering point at the mo, which made metering on a day with really harsh lighting another PITA. I think tonight's bedtime reading might be the Magic Lantern guide... now when can I get one for a Coronet Popular Twelve?

Speaking of which, how good a camera is it? I don't know until I finish the film and develop it (though the similar Dynamic Twelve has a lens which is out of focus in the centre, and gets worse the closer to the edge you get!), but I think this ad gives a clue:

http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/advertising/coronet_1952/ad1.htm

Coronet were the cheapest of the cheap, so for this to be cheaper than the cardboard 12/20 box camera doesn't bode well!

Adrian

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

As vented elsewhere in this thread, I took my car with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree to the garage for an investigation into a faulty electric parking brake. Long and sort of it was that their diagnostic cleared the fault lights on the dash,but found no electrical fault. Next the rear wheels came off and the callipers, motors and wiring were found okay. So in a effort to duplicate the fault someone at Renault took the car home. End of day, no fault found and a bill for £68 .... and a missed trip to Oxford.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Missed this thread for a while. Looks like you all had a good time and decent weather.

Never heard a Stroh in the flesh, how do they sound?

And as for Border Morris in Oxford - sacrilege and possibly a hanging matter.

S

5. gray1720

The Stroh is a bit tinnier than a "proper" violin, but for morris purposes plenty good enough. Probably wouldn't want to play a concerto on them, mind.

Adrian

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you guys found a good B&B pub in the Oxford area, and preferably close to one of the vehicular entries (public or not) to Wytham Woods? I would like one that runs an efficient breakfast service , and not one that serves a cooked breakfast to a guest that turns up on time at 7:30, not before 8:18. Sadly my old favourite has somewhat deteriorated since it changed ownership. I won't be more specific for obvious legal reasons, but those 'in the know' will know exactly to what lovely old pub that I want to replace on my visits.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I doubt we'll be able to help - I think we all travelled from home on the day.

8. gray1720

I'll ask around - how close does close need to be, and when?

Adrian

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's not particularly close, being south west, but years (10+) ago when I went down to Harwell I used to stay at the Doghouse. Mainly to be able to answer "in the doghouse" when asked where I was.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would like to be close enough to get a cooked breakfast and still be on site by 8:30.
    The next time will be in September.
    Thanks for asking.

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Just realised that I'd started this thread and I've been posting elsewhere regarding my exit from hospital and trip to Oxford.

Just to confirm that I'm in Oxford on Monday 9 October until mid afternoon 12 October if anyway would like to meet up, sink a few pints in notable pubs and sling a camera around their necks. As I have pointed out elesewhere, at a push I could make Oxford very late morning on the SUNDAY 8 OCTOBER too , if anyone is that keen to meet up but finds the weekday impossible.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I could make late morning on Sunday, but don't want to be the one person messing things up for the rest.