1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxford Meet Spring 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 31, 2014.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I did organise a photo walk a couple of years back from Whitechapel to Bow ending inside Bow Church itself

This led me to conclude that it would be easier to herd cats than photographers. My lovingly planned itinerary was binned after 10 minutes!

But if anyone's up for it we could do the Mile End Ecology Park and Tower Hamlets cemetery

2. LesleySM

Got it it'll be sent the next time get to a PO but that might be a week or so

Do I need anything special to send film?

3. LesleySM

PLEASE!

As I is I am considering entering a lovely shot I took at Kew of some orchids into this months competition as I'd never been to Kew before or since so qualifies

4. LesleySM

Let me at 'em! Decent dare I say not your basic white or black plain bras that fit a fuller figure? Where did I put my credit card?

Any men reading this presumably will not appreciate the sheer joy someone with a fuller figure feels when they find a bra that fits and isn't plain

5. LesleySM

It's Games Day at my club tomorrow - I'll take my D7000 along , got some lovely portrait shots from there - "Liam" which got a shortlist in the AP forum competition last year was taken at one. And the beer garden has hanging baskets, which I love for getting flower shots on my macro lens

Or if I can I might pop along I have Gray's phone number so could meet up even if its only at the end I can wander round Oxford on my own after all

6. LesleySM

Thanks Dave

Lost it a bit today-why on Earth can't these idiots think?

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Steve - you can PM me now! ::eek:

Lesley - you can just bung the films in a jiffy bag, they'll be fine. If you can make it at any time great, if not, good luck! I've just come back from holiday to unthinking career-****ing archt**tiness, so you have my sympathy.

Adrian

8. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you can't make it.

The walk you just proposed would be ideal, I'd be interested.

Back to Oxford, what with any remaining chaos from the fire, and the Oxford Folk Weekend there should be some added interest to the day.

9. Steve Bell

Would be most interested in this. I live close to Oxford, spend a lot of time there, but have only ever looked around 2 of the colleges.

10. gray1720

Unfortunately the European Quidditch Cup is being played out at Horspath... pity!

Adrian

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Sitting here sick as a dog, looking at the weather and my car in the driveway. I've a good mind to bring a lawsuit against Renault for loss of enjoyment and making hay time.

12. LesleySM

So I'm thinking about it- two minutes walk from Mile End station-One of the 7 Victorian cemetaries of which Highgate is one. Part of it is still a Victorian cemetery , complete with the sort of funeral statutary that local councils ban these days....weeping angels etc. A couple of Jack the Ripper victim's are buried there along with one of the pathologists who did the post mortems on some of Ripper victims

The rest is an ecology park

I gather if we get a group together we could get a volunteer to take us round for free I,e, donations appreciated but not compulsory

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Did you check the basics, eg not a blown fuse?
    Couldn't you have found somewhere flat to park the car and left it in gear to stop it rolling?

You missed a great day, many thanks to Adrian. Plenty of walking, interesting subjects to photograph, dry and sunny weather, great company.
    I was home just before 7:30pm having let just after 8:30am. So glad I remembered to pick up my walking shoes, stuck them in the car boot and changed footwear in the car park before getting on the first train

14. LesleySM

Rub it in why don't you?

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

What a fantastic visit to Oxford! Many thanks to Adrian for keeping it together.

I've visited Oxford a few times. This was different, and better. Here's a few snaps.

Man walking in front of bus - result of Randolph Hotel fire
    [​IMG]

I had my photo taken by Adrian
    [​IMG]

We went to an archaeological dig
    [​IMG]

Adrian gets down to it
    [​IMG]

And this wasn't the only special headgear
    [​IMG]

16. Steve Bell

Here's two of mine from yesterday.

As it was Oxford's annual Folk Weekend plenty of opportunities presented themselves, this was my favourite shot up close with the 8mm fisheye lens.

[​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/rVajj8Oxford Folk Weekend 1 https://flic.kr/p/rVajj8 by stevebell https://www.flickr.com/people/11376173@N00/, on Flickr

The Randolph Hotel suffered from a serious fire on Friday. During Saturday afternoon a truck mounted hydraulic platform helped in assessing the damage. Two of the three personnel on the platform were photographing the fire damaged roof.

[​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/rUZFU1Randolf Hotel Fire Damage Inspection https://flic.kr/p/rUZFU1 by stevebell https://www.flickr.com/people/11376173@N00/, on Flickr

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Totally green here and the weather looks fab, even better than here Yesterday.

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Been a bit busy today, catching up with things, so not had a chance to work on anything yet.

Was a brilliant day, I got home about 7.40 or so, dozed off on the bus, woke up just as we reached the end of the M40 where it becomes the A40. Managed to get myself together in time for the Hillingdon stop. Did a bit of catch-up shopping in the local Tesco, had my supper about 9 o/c with a bottle of beer.

19. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I have:
    Man pushing bus - result of body-building at the gym?
    [​IMG]
    ..and I took Adrian's photo whilst he held some of the cameras that he bought along for the occasion
    [​IMG]

20. gray1720

For the uninitiated, several things out of the ordinary went on. The fire on Friday evening at the Randolph Hotel meant that Magdalen Street, which is pretty much the centre of the bus universe in Oxford, was closed to traffic. This in itself isn't a problem as the bus companies just use Broad Street, as they do when the annual St Giles Fair is on. Unfortunately this time, there was an art and craft market in Broad Street, plus lots of morris dancing being committed. So the result was a surprisingly good natured sort of chaos, with buses competing with maket stands and morris men for space, and it took us forever to get out of Broad Street as it was just too interesting to leave! Then we happened across the archaeological dig open day off New College Lane (and it is, of course, against the law to pass a hole in the ground without looking in it, even just to find Bernard Cribbins), and finally bimbled to Magdalen College where even the hayfever sufferer and non-flower fan was impressed by the snakeshead fritillaries in gay profusion (can you still say that?).

I'm sorry to rub it in for those who couldn't make it, but it was a great day, thoroughly good fun, and I'll try to find a photo... By the way, yes, I really was using that Coronet!

Adrian