1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxford Meet Spring 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ten minutes, maybe? I'm just trying to cover all possibilities (and probably micromanaging dreadfully!). I've extended an invitation to the University Photographic Society (most of whom will be away), only to discover that after three years one of them still doesn't know where the spire of the underground cathedral is... what do they teach them these days?

Adrian

2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Carry a big camera with a big, big lens.

3. gray1720

I could get the Black Mamba out, but I don't fancy lugging it round for a day!

Adrian

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

That sounds like a line from the unfinished master piece "Carry on togging"

Along with

Charles Hawtrey "Look at her she's got her Nikkors in a twist"

Sid James "Come into the darkroom and look at my Canon"

Hattie Jacques " If I do I'll need a macro"

5. gray1720

Ooooooh matron!

Adrian

6. LesleySM

"Is that an ultra long zoom or are you just pleased to see me?"

7. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Get hassle from the polis...

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Never seems to be a problem in York, so I do not expect Oxford is much different.

9. gray1720

Aye, there's so many long lenses in Oxford the plods have better things to do!

Adrian

10. LesleySM

Thinking about lenses I have a 10-20 wide angle Sigma, which gets so little use 'cos I don't do much architectural work- would it come in handy on the day?

11. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Bring the Sigma 10-20mm lens along, there's always suitable subjects for an ultra wide lens. For instance, I was in Oxford today looking around the Science Fair stalls in Bonn Square. There was an interesting display by Siemens on Superconductors. Lots of liquid nitrogen creating white clouds when poured. I used my 8mm fisheye for some shots close up showing the display. Your lens at 10mm would also have been suitable. Other uses would have been in the Covered Market, the Natural History Museum, the Pitt Rivers Museum.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  12. LesleySM

Thanks Steve I'll bag it up along with my nifty fifty and my Tamron 90 f2.8 macro that should cover all bases- unless anyone can think of anything else?

13. gray1720

Turns out it's also the Oxford Folk Weekend... so there's likely to be outbreaks of Morris dancing.

Adrian

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oh dear! Will folk-song be committed?

15. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Not from me, there won't be !

16. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Folk-song? That's nowt.

Thee be very careful not t' stand near they wimen cloggies. Fearsome they is...

[​IMG]

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I still intend to come, but not overnight now. My Wife's cat is rather poorly at the moment and is suffering renal failure.

Looking forward to a great day out.

18. gray1720

Sorry to hear that Mark, but looking forward to seeing you.

Should anyone have any queries, I'm on holiday from the 9th to the 16th of April, so there might be delay before answering them - I'll be trying o have a bit of a break from the intertubes!

Adrian

19. gray1720

OK everyone, Saturday 18th, Martyr's Memorial, 11am.

If they're still in bloom, anyone into their flowers might be interested to take a a trip to Magdelen Meadow to see the snakes head fritillaries. I shall make enquiries on Friday.

If anyone isn't sure where to meet or isn't sure they'll make 11, PM me and I'll PM you my phone number.

Adrian

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

All being well, I'll be with you, and with my Canon 5D MkII, and EF 35 F/2 IS USM.

I might, just might, be tempted to bring along more lenses than is sensible.

Anyone interested in trying the
    EF 135 F/2.8 SF or
    EF 15 F/2.8 or
    TS-E 24 F/3.5L MkII or
    TS-E 45 F/2.8 ?

I doubt I'll bring all as my carrying stamina isn't what it used to be, but PM me if interested in a specific lens.

Let's hope the weather holds.