1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxford Meet Spring 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 31, 2014.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Just giving this a poke - Saturday 18th of April in the cattle crossing.

Adrian

2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Do you mind, I was asleep ! Now I have to go and put some new silicone around the shower base.

3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Where is the cattle crossing? Near the train station?

4. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

If you look for a pub or cafe called the Cattle Crossing you'll be looking for ever, although I'm surprised one hasn't be named as so. Oxford, Ox Ford, was thought to have began at the site of a ford used as a cattle crossing. The cattle crossing equates to Oxford. I'd love to know where it was thought the fords original location was, but that was so long ago, and the routes of rivers change over time.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Can I get some idea of what time I need to reach Oxford? I'm looking to book in advance for my train to save a few quid

6. gray1720

Indeed - twas an attempt at humour. There are four ford names on the Thames in Oxfordshire - Oxford, Swinford, Shifford and Duxford. The first three are believed to be the lowest points along the river at which oxen, pigs and sheep could still ford it. Duxford, unfortunately, is the Duke's Ford and nothing to do with ducks!

The original ford seems likely to have been somewhere at the bottom of St Aldates but the evidence suggests that the river channel was very braided and winding, and has been channelled over the centuries, so it was probably a series of fords rather than a single one. You did ask...

Lesley, I've checked upthread and no-one has mentioned a time yet, least of all me. Any thoughts on a time? Not too early, not too late, for getting here from places like London - I'm guessing 10 probably too early, how about 11?

Adrian

7. LesleySM

11 suits me- I'll be able to grab breakfast at Paddington on my way through

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

11 sounds fine to me. I'll probably come by coach from Hillingdon coach station.

9. gray1720

Looks as though 11 it is then. I think I've suggested Gloucester Green as a meeting point - just through an alley from the bus station where the coach will come in, a few hundred yards from the rail station (about 5 minutes on foot, probably ten by taxi as you tour our latest roadworks...), not too far from wherever the Park and Nick buses stop.

Any concerns? I believe there's a Saturday market now, which might make people harder to spot...

Adrian

10. LesleySM

Somewhere else might be better if there's a market going on

11. gray1720

Unless we meet at the end of the bus station by the old school, I think it's going to be busy wherever...

Adrian

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

...and being Oxford, it won't be just us with cameras.

13. gray1720

Any better suggestions for a meeting place? The Said Business School plaza would be good for anyone coming by train, and should be relatively quiet on a Saturday morning, but is back out of town again for anyone coming from the coach station or park and nick (though only by a few hundred yards).

The Old School end of the bus station would be quieter as well. Everywhere central will be getting busy, despite it being early in the tourist season...

Adrian

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

15. gray1720

Sounds good to me - easy to get directions to as well! I'll try to be early with a sign, and I expect Mark and I will probably be on the same bus.

Everyone else OK with that?

Adrian

(it is, of course, where Fatima and Ridley were burnt to death experimenting with a new sort of candle that they said would never go out...)

16. LesleySM

Okay with me

17. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Sounds good - in my calendar; I'll probably use Redbridge P&R, so a short walk up from St Aldates

18. IvorETower

Me too, but give us time to walk there from the train station !
    11:00am start should be OK (so long as it's not going to rain)

19. gray1720

Don't panic about getting there on time - I'll hand out my mobile number a day or two before, and people can holler of they'll be a bit late. I'm sure we can find something to entertain ourselves with. If enough people are coming by train, you could meet at the station and get a taxi together?

Adrian

20. IvorETower

Taxi? I'm sure from memory that it doesn't take that long to walk there from the station.