1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oxford Meet Spring 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Who was it suggested a meet up in Oxford for spring 2015 ? I'm sure it was in the Kew thread somewhere, but I can't locate it at the moment.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was post #25 21/11/2014 by Adrian (I was following the saga but getting to Kew was never realistic for me) and a suggestion rather than a proposal. I had trouble to find it too.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

'ullo folks, yes, it was me! Been meaning to come back and resurrect it for a while... It's been a long time since the last one!

Consulting SWMBO's list of weekend's she's already doing stuff on (slightly to my surprise, this only runs until August thus far), I see that currently the only weekends I'm definitely elsewhere on are the 7/8 March and 11/12 April. After that will be cricket season, so I will be unavailable for Sundays generally - what are people's thoughts, Saturday or Sunday?

There should be a surfeit of photographic opportunities, plus hostelries to visit. It's well-connected by road and rail to most of the country, though if you drive I very strongly suggest that you take the Park and Ride (of which there are four) - there's been major roadworks going on for what feels like years, and the city is a bloody nightmare to drive in at the best of times. In addition, they might finally have started demolishing the Westgate shopping centre, in which case car parking will be dramatically reduced, and no doubt the price will be increased as well.

Who's up for it then?

Adrian

4. Mark101

Well me for a start. SWMBO does want to come and do one of those short Inspector Morse tours too. I suppose the best option for me would be overnight in the Peartree Roundabout Travelodge and the park and ride. I'm easy for either Sat or Sun.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Pencil me in.

I'll have to give it thought regarding dates and transport.

6. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I'm certainly interested. Sunday preferred but Saturdays are OK too. I'm live close to Oxford and know it fairly well.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Count me in as a possible.
    Saturdays are better for me, as two Sundays/month are "claimed" by my local nature reserve - they easily survive without me though. I'm sure partner would like a visit to Oxford as well.

8. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Nice and local - pencil me in :)
    For train transport, Saturdays would be best.

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Where would we be thinking of meeting?

ATM I'm thinking of taking the X90 "Oxford Tube" from Hillingdon as that looks the best bet. I could even have a pint without worrying about driving home :)

10. gray1720

Gloucester Green might be a good place to meet - next to the bus station, and not too far from either the railway station or where the park and ride buses stop (I think the P&R buses all stop in the same place - living there, we never use them, anyway it won't be more than a couple of minutes walk). Gloc Green also has various cafes so early arrivers can grab a char and hang about.

The university is on Easter vac (or whatever they call it these days*) between 14th March - 26th April, so I'd suggest 15th March as the earliest date, and the 18/19 April as the latest - which gives five weekends, plus the one I'm AWOL for. That way town should be relatively quiet, as opposed to summer term and tourist season when it's usually merry hell with wheels, bells, and knobs.

Does anyone have anything they particularly want to see? I'll try to think of a few things good for good and bad weather, but I suspect that it'll evolve on the day itself and be better for it.

Mark - if you are overnighting, drop over to Wolvercote (of Tongue fame), and we'll put the kettle on if we are still in the flat there.

Adrian

*you would be startled how many people think that because I work for the University, for my sins, that I only work when the students are there. If only!

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Very interested, Saturday much preferred over Sunday. I'll be going by train from Reading (presuming that the infernal things will be running after the nightmares of the past few weeks)

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am interested but only able to give a date at short notice so I will keep an eye on the thread to see if it is possible as the dates firm up

13. gray1720

No problem, Roger. If no-one comes up with any weekend they can or can't make, I'll suggest a firm date around the end of January. Hopefully it'll fit for you.

Adrian

14. Mark101

Anyone got a better idea of a date yet ? Being shellfish, it would be nice to book a hotel and make some plans. I prefer later in April weather wise.

15. gray1720

Anyone else got any feelings on a date, then? Mark gets first dibs by coming forward, so I'd suggest the 18th of April (Saturday).

Yea/nay?

Adrian

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

April 18th. seems OK with me, at the moment. So, it's now in my diary.

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

ATM 18th April is OK by me.

18. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

April 18th is OK with me too.

19. Mark101

Apologies if I appear to be applying pressure - 18th Would be ideal for me.

20. gray1720

Not at all - I think we're close to a critical mass for the 18th, just give it a day or two more and if there are no dissenters...

Adrian