1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Over charging of AP magazine subscription !!!!

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by neilt3, Jul 6, 2015.

1. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

It's that time of the year again , subscriptions are due .
    I received a letter saying I need to renew now to get my best discount price .
    Paying by direct debit quarterly it's £29.99 , saving 20% .

I went on line to sort it out and found on there I am only charged £23.49 per quarter for the print edition ( plus free iPad/iPhone trial ) .
    That's a 37% saving !

That works out that I would have paid the same as an extra payment or an extra 25% approximately .

So be warned , if your renewal is due , make sure your not over paying .

2. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

P.S , if any of the editorial team , or whoever is responsible for subscriptions wants any details or the letters reference number , feel free to P.M me .

3. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I don't understand.

I pay by DD and I am not aware that I ever have to "renew" my subscription. It just keeps coming.

Are you saying that we should really cancel our DDs every year and re-enrol on the latest "special offer"?

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

For all mags that's usually the best option. Sometimes by a long way. :)

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

AP editorial does not deal with subscriptions, nor set their rates. These are set by a central Time Inc. (UK) dept and handled by a third-party. Contact details can be found here.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/contact

Various discounts are offered throughout the year.

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I only started a subscription last year , after buying it weekly for a good few years at the local news agent
    When I subscribed I did it over the phone , paying for a yearly subscription as a one off , rather than direct debit .

A letter has arrived saying to renew it as its about to run out , and to phone up or go online to renew , entering a promotion code to get it at this price .
    Paying by direct debit @ £29.99 each 3 months ,
    OR a one off fee again of £119.99 for 1 year ,
    OR £225.59 for 2 years .
    So that's either a 20% or 25% saving off the cover price .

I went online this time ,
    For direct debit it came up £23.49 ,
    £101.49 for a one of 1 year payment ,
    and £188.99 for a one off 2 year subscription .
    That's a saving of 32% to 37% .

That's without any promotion code .

So just suggesting that people make sure their not over paying , check your bank statement and take it from there .

Regards , Neil .

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's fair enough .
    I am just surprised that they are selling it at 2 very different prices at the same time .
    By direct debit , it's the same as an extra payment !

Just glad I found out before I paid up !

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

We will see what the bill is next year !

9. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Local library membership often includes digital magazine subscriptions as part of your Council Tax. Trufax.

My last direct debit was £29.11, mine's taken every three months.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

This is the "New Customer" syndrome in practice.

Publishers are always prepared to spend more on acquiring new customers than Keeping existing ones. Even though it is well proven that the existing customer is far more valuable, and more likely to be a Repeat purchaser.
    Customer turnover is extremely costly in both direct sales costs and administration.

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

'These are set by a central Time Inc. (UK) dept and handled by a third-party. Contact details can be found here.'

Where Time are really naughty and may be breaching UK Consumer Law, is the offers I get for 'One day only - half-price AP subscription'. When I check, I find that it is not a normal subscription being offered at half-price but a special, new subscription where the rate if 50% the cover cover price instead of the usual 30-something%.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Spot on, Terry, and I seem to recall a UK Consumer Minister saying they had done something about this and existing consumers were entitled to any new offers. Can't remember who/what/where. Am I imagining it or was it UK CAM merely saying he was looking to do something about it? Cheers, Oly

13. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

To be fair this practice is not limited to publishing. It applies to bank accounts, mortgages, car and home insurance, utilities, supermarket home deliveries, you name it. In the modern world customer loyalty seems to be penalised.

As Mark said we have nothing to do with pricing, subscriptions and the like, we just produce the editorial content.

14. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

The difference, Nigel, is that with bank accounts, insurance companies, utilities, etc., we can switch suppliers every year to get the introductory discounts because there are genuine competitors available.

Regrettably there is no decent competition to AP!

Eric

15. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

But what about the poor Irish? International prices apply yet postal costs are only marginally higher! One reason why I don't subscribe on a permanent basis - tired of getting emails about "special offers" directly to my email address - which I can't avail of :(