1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outsider Artists

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by AlanW, Jan 8, 2018.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Not necessarily about photography, though Vivian Maier seems to have been the catalyst for the article, there's an interesting piece in the December issue of Apollo Magazine:

The double lives of outsider artists

Geren likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Interesting read. Thank you.

S

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have a book here called Art and Psychosis which includes works from the Prinzhorn Collection. No photography but a wealth of other work including embroidery and carvings as well as drawings produced by people in psychiatric institutions. I was looking at what motivates people to make work. My own conclusions (and I can only apply them to me) were that boredom and a lack of distraction coupled with confinement resulted in an almost manic need to make/do when I was a child. It's probalby why I still doodle when I'm trying to concentrate - something has to come out somehow. I don't think that's so very far removed from what happens in 'outsider art'. The act of making, whatever it is you're making, is a response to a need on some level. A need to do. A need to create. A need to express something you can't otherwise express.

Worryingly I can all too readily identify with the idea of that social disconnect. (I am leaving the house today - come hell or high water!)

AlanW likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is a mistake to believe that people with artistic ability are inclined towards extroversion and self-promotion. We face that all the time in advertising, where there are very genuine and capable creative people who almost hide their lights, with some complete charlatans who seek the limelight (well I think more charlatans in the Mad Men days, because clients are rather process and results minded these days and less inclined to fall for chutzpah. Google Chutzpah & Chutzpah for my friend Simon's book on that.
    For every Dali, for whom their work is an extension and advertisement for their persona, I would guess there is a Kandinsky for whom the work is almost the antithesis of their persona. There must be many Kandinskys who have never been discovered, but rather less Dalis, I suspect.

Geren likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's a universal truth everywhere and everywhen. British industry and commerce (not to mention our public services) are full of excellent people who just get on and do good work while there are a bunch of self aggrandising swine who take the credit and are massively overpaid for it.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. RovingMike

I wouldn't disagree. But it is called Leadership, I believe :(

I could entertain you for hours with stories....

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Me too. There are some nasty specimens about to be sure.

8. RovingMike

I wrote a guide to how to be a top person in Linkedin's Executive Club once, but I believe the folk there thought I was sending them up......well just a bit ;)