1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Own Interesting Old Images

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MickLL, Jul 12, 2019.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

The other thread prompted this idea - pictures that we took ourselves that stick in the memory.

Here are two to start us off. Interesting that both are mono and both are film.

1. The screen. Memorable because I fell through a rotten floor just after taking it. Smashed the camera but the film survived. I was unharmed. It's won a couple of prizes since including a camera (courtesy AP).

[​IMG]

2. Memorable to me because it was pretty well the first picture that I ever took with a 'treatment' in mind. My first conscious attempt at pre-visualisation. The 'straight' print is a more or less uniform grey.

[​IMG]

MickLL

2. contax wide boy

contax wide boy Active Member

Ha Ha - certainly does sound memorable !
    Really like the seagull and it suits b/w very well.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Funny how some images can be memorable.
    2 from me. Both on film and both from the early 80's when I was around 17-18.

This first one was taken in Liverpool, circa 1982. We all thought we were cool and this one has stuck in my mind as I also thought it was a cool gritty photo, although it is probably neither. I also developed and printed this myself and was one of my first efforts I think.

[​IMG]liverpool bridge by Nigel G, on Flickr

This next one, also from 1981/2 sticks in my mind as probably my first sort of street shot of someone I didn't know and was proud of it in so much as I liked the oldish guy, wearing a suit, reading a music paper with Boy George on the front.

[​IMG]boy george by Nigel G, on Flickr

RovingMike, Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd have to get a scanner to join in! They would be from my own D&P efforts but I think scanning the negs and redoing the P is the best way forward.

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ones that bring back memories for me.
    The floral tributes to S Ranieri in Pietrasanta (Tuscany) where we bravely took my step-mother and half sister on holidiay in about 1977, I think. We rented a villa which was gorgeous, did all our own shoping (in Italian) explored beaches, cafes, restaurants (I loved antipasti) and had fun venturing out on local buses and trains and exploring Florence and Pisa and the mountain villages nearby. Wine was glorious as was the food and accommodation. We even went to a local outside traditional festival where we sat at benches with locals, eating and drinking and hiding under the tressle tables when it rained.
    ap floral tribute to s ranier 2ia.jpg

The next shows our first two rented flats in London. First one was the downstairs windows and the next was the two bedroom one upstairs. In Hatch End, Middx.
    ap highcroft hatch end first flats.jpg

It spoilt us for everything afterwards, as we stepped on the purchasing ladder.

Eventually, after a couple of semis in Hillingdon (second was nice), we decided to escape London before we were totally trapped by jobs, status, money and head-banging. Since I worked for BA at the time, nowhere seemed very far away and after travelling in Oxfordshsire, Berkshire, Yorkshire and Orkney, we plumped for the house below (near Stornoway Isle of Lewis) and this shows it as it was when we bought it. We spent the next 30 years cultivating the garden and field so it became a haven for us both.
    ap the old manse as it was.jpg

Now I'm in town and the adventure continues.

dream_police and EightBitTony like this.
  6. Catriona

Great memories MickLL and Nige! I do think that seagull one is great - as is Nige's Liverpool bridge one. I see that as a record cover and you did a great job on the printing.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

This was by no means my first, but was my first attempt at reportage at age of about 14 I think. I was in a boy scout guard of honour for Lyndon B visit and under the awning of the conference centre he was arriving at. As he approached, I whipped out my Halina 35x and snapped with whatever I had guessed at as settings.

I liked the starry-eyed gaze of the kid opposite, no idea how he got in there.

The kindly old gent departed soon after to start the Vietnam War.

[​IMG]Lyndon B by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

8. Catriona

First glass monster in Uxbridge 1985 taken from Sainsbury's (?) multi story carpark.

ap uxbridge 1985 first glass edifice.jpg

Inside a yew hedge at Crathes Castle, Banchory Aberdeenshire. 1970s.
    ap yew hedge.jpg

Geren and dream_police like this.
  9. RovingMike

Fairly certain I developed and printed LBJ in the school lab and would have loaded the cassette from bulk.

Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

He looks so different to how I remember him!

11. dream_police

I posted this on this forum in 2007. I do not have the original scan following an HD crash and I couldn't find the original print when I looked earlier, hence this one with the watermark from PB from when it ws hosted there. This is again from the early 80's D and P by me (luckily I used to work for Ilford so had free and easy access to chems and paper).
    This had always been one of my favourite shots. I think this one won one of the old monthly comps on here some 10-12 years ago. I recall being asked to provide a high res image for the magazine so I presume it was printed in there.

tree.jpg

Geren, RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  12. RovingMike

This one is late '91/early '92 filling in as extra stills man on an Agfa TV commercial shoot in Florida. Client wanted stills on four stocks and would only pay for one photographer, who claimed they could only carry two Nikons at a time.
    This one always stuck in my mind.

[​IMG]VB by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Geren and Catriona like this.
  13. RovingMike

Maybe they sent a double? He might have been down to visit several countries at once;)

Catriona likes this.
  14. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

Liverpool 1971. I was 16 and just got my first SLR, a 2nd hand Exacta Varex1000; couldn't afford a light meter, so just went by the guide that came with the Kodachrome. These were from a number of shots taken from the Liverpool Tower.

A17 (2017_07_18 09_28_08 UTC).jpg B02 (2017_07_18 09_28_08 UTC).jpg

dream_police and Catriona like this.
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Where's all the traffic on the second one?

16. Catriona

I just remember him more jowly, but he did grow old, just like the rest of us. :)

17. dream_police

All the cars have had their wheels pinched whilst parked up.:);)

saxacat and spinno like this.
  18. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

That's a good question, I've just looked at another shot, to the left of the 2nd image, which shows the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel, and there is virtually no traffic!

The only thing I can think is that it was a Sunday or BH Morning.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

not continuing the stereotyping here are we....:rolleyes:

dream_police likes this.
  20. RovingMike

Sure. Compare early and late Nixon, Blair, etc. Sounds like a cushy job, but it ages them.

Catriona likes this.