1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Osteoarthritis in fingers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Sep 27, 2017.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Pain. Pain. Oh the pain! The soreness in the poor wee knuckles of my fingers is doing my head in!!

I don't usually ask medical advice on the internet but I am pretty confident I'm not the only forumite with this problem. I use my fingers a lot ( guitar, banjo, typing ) and it's getting me down.

Does anyone have any advice on controlling/alleviating this problem?

Can't take Ibuprofen or other NSAIDs orally due to BP issues but I'll try just about anything :(:(

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hi Willie, my sympathies. You wouldn't be on statins by any chance?

I reacted very badly to a small dose of statins - when the NHS was giving then to more or less everybody of a certain age; was taken off them, and it then took two years for my fingers and knuckle joints to fully recover. Several years on, I'm still alive...

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Hi Willie. I really sympathise with you especially as I'm in the same boat with being unable to take NSAIDs.
    I can take paracetamol and it does help me sleep, at least.
    I do find I feel better after eating something spicy - Indian meal seems to help, but I don't know why.
    Here's a link to a site which does suggest some non-drug ways to help joint pain.
    I hope it helps.
    https://draxe.com/natural-remedies-for-bone-and-joint-pain/

Kate
    PS It's mainly my shoulders and neck. X-Ray shows arthritis and impingement which nips nerves and tendons. Not so nice.

4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

My sympathies too. It makes so many things so much harder when your hands won't work properly.

Kate - could be the turmeric in your spicy foods that helps. My mother took it in capsule form for her own arthritic fingers and seemed to feel it helped considerably.

Willie - have you been diagnosed with oesteo-arthritis is that a best guess on your part? I only ask becuase it's not the only thing to cause pain in hands/joints. I had it ruled out but still have very painful hands two years after first going to the doctor about it. Heat seems to help if only temporarily.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, you could be right about the turmeric.
    One other thing. I've stopped my glass of wine with my dinner. I now have a glass of beer! I do think my hands/knuckles are less swollen.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I occasionally use something called Penetrex [stop sniggering in the back, there!]. It's a cream you rub on the affected areas which gives relief for a couple of days. www.fairfresh.co.uk

A single aspirin with breakfast helps as well.

I'd also go along with turmeric and heat.

S

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

'Penetrex' was also the name of the line-cleaning fluid that I used to use when I worked in a pub - so if you're thinking of buying some, make sure you get the right one.

Cheers, Jeff

Geren likes this.
  8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

It would stop that nasty constipation if you got the wrong one then.

S

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Cheers for that...

10. willie45

Hi

Malcolm, I do take statins. Have done for several years. I will mention it to the doc next time. Thanks

Kate I might try the turmeric thing. Interestingly I find Paracetamol helps me to sleep too. I don't believe it's the pain relief but something to do with the drug itself. Thanks for the link. I will have a proper look tonight.

Green, I haven't had the diagnosis confirmed by X-Ray yet but it's in process. I did have it diagnosed in my 30s by an osteopath who told me I had early signs of it.

Steve, that's an interesting reference to Penetrex. Thanks. I've never heard of it but will order some. I already take aspirin routinely. I've also ordered some heat pads from Amazon.

Thank you all

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Willie, I'm not usually one for offering advice but as I too have the old 'Arthur' trouble at times, perhaps you might be interested if I tell you that for about a year now I have been a vegetarian and it appears to have wrought a measurable improvement to my condition. Funny thing is, when we lived in Manchester many years ago, we had an osteopath living next door. We happened to mention to him that our dog had developed arthritis and he said his two labradors also suffered from it but when he put them on a doggie veggie diet (Happidog) it effected a great improvement. So we did the same for Teg, our dog, and within three weeks her limp had improved considerably.
    I will admit that when on holiday I am sometimes tempted by a piece of lamb or pork, but on returning home I'm straight back on the veggie stuff. Not only has all this green stuff improved my arthritis but the other curious benefit is that my top front teeth are now past my chin.....;)

Catriona likes this.
  12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

About 12 years ago I started getting pains in my elbows, someone suggested Glucosamine, so I did an on line search and as a result decided to try it, the local herbal shop had some with the addition of MSM and Chondroitin, since then the only time the pain returned was when I forgot to take the tablets on holiday, within a few days of getting home and taking the tablets the pain went and so far not returned.

Further reading on line suggests that it's one of those things that works for some people and not others, like some people are allergic to other medications, I'm happy it works for me.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Ginger, black pepper, garlic.
    All stuff to increase blood flow to the area.

14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

You can try a basic finger exercise that I use : Tap the tip each finger in turn against the opposing thumb tip and increase the speed to as fast as you can go on each hand. This technique is used for arthritic hands in physio and the speed element fits the latest thinking on any exercise, being that a excessive burst of speed short term brings greater benefits that long gentle excise patterns,

Catriona likes this.
  15. willie45

Thanks people for the advice. I do appreciate it and will work my way through these ideas. I've ordered some Penetrex and Turmeric and found some Ginger capsules. I also will increase my pepper and garlic which is no hardship. I'm going to try this vegetarian thing after I eat all the meat in the house this week, Mike. Mrs Willie is already a veggie so I will join her meal plan.

Mike I tried Glucosamine but sadly didn't do it for me.

Mark I do use similar exercises when playing so I'm hoping it will go some way to slowing the spread.

Thanks again everyone :)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'm going to try this vegetarian thing after I eat all the meat in the house this week, Mike. Mrs Willie is already a veggie so I will join her meal plan.

Oh, dear, I hope the dog, or cat, or budgie will be spared, Willie?:eek:

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Can one add jalapenos and onions to make the mixture palatable?

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep, all those increase the blood flow, which is exactly what osteoarthritis needs.
    Chinese food including all of the above would be great. - just don't add MSG:confused:

As far as vegetarianism is concerned, red meat is by far the most likely to be the culprit if it is indeed meat that causes problems.
    Chicken, fish (oily fish will be great) and eggs are ok, and first class protein.
    If you decide to cut out dairy, you must supplement it with DECENT sources of calcium such as sardines (the bones are tiny, so we eat them all) rather than just vegetable sources (they are good, just not as good as the animal based calcium sources)

Of course if you had a boiled egg, you could always just eat the shell as well:eek:

19. willie45

I'm probably going to go with Mackerel ( tinned in hot tomato sauce ) for calcium though I don't generally like fish. I'm sure Soya milk has a sixth as much so not good. I will need to look further into it.

20. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

As well as all the advice on here - ask your GP for referral to NHS Pain Management. There are plenty of medical options for pain relief, it's a specific area of medical expertise, and you can get the help you need.