1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oslo

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Zou, May 1, 2014.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Anyone here been to Oslo? There are some seriously cheap flights available from Edinburgh so I was looking at a two day/three night city break in a couple of weeks from now. Anything particularly worth seeing or doing? The architecture looks intriguing, but I really know nothing more than that. Will try to find a guide book at the weekend, but any tips appreciated.

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Oslo is nice, it is sometimes calles the worlds biggest country vilage. The centre and the old part around the harbour is nice. There is a nice park there, The Vigeland Park that is full of statues and you can grab a bus to Holmenkollen for scenery and one of the more known ski jumping towers.
    Hotel Royal Christiania has fantastic breakfast and is well located, I usually stay there when I get the chance to go to Oslo.

Just remember that every thing is about 1 1/2 of the price in UK exept Beer that is around 3x the price...

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

that should be 1.5x the price apart form the beer that is over 3x more

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks Snorri. Somehow I'd forgotten about the Viking ship museum, somewhere I've wanted to go for some time. I've booked the flights, now sorting the hotel. :)

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Weather looks like it might hold so going to take a pinhole camera too. :D All fits in hand luggage.

[​IMG]

6. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Intrestimg aprotch, I probably would go with a DSLR. Show us some of the resoults :)

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Meh, DSLRs suck. ;)

I nearly decided to take my Brownie, but why settle for 6x9cm negs when you can have 4x5"? Seriously though, the rationale was that nothing will catch the angles of the opera house and the Astrup Fearnley museum area like a super-ultra-crazy wide angle pinhole. Looking forward to seeing if I'm right.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Soooooo sunny today in Oslo, less than 1sec shutter speeds required even at f138! Loving it here. Not photogenic in quite the same way as Prague or Florence, but still more than enough photo opportunities, and I could spend hours at the opera building or Astrup Fearnley museum just shooting the fantastic architecture in the changing light. :)

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Glad you are having a great time. Enjoy it! Look forward to seeing the results.
    !
    Kate

10. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Sounds good, then it is just Brown cheese and waffles. :rolleyes:

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Had both. Was surprised by the sweetness of the brown cheese. I didn't get a chance to try smoked whale, perhaps next time.

Pictures will be appearing on Flickr from today, and I've posted one in the Exhibition Lounge already.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mmmm! More please! Keep them coming. It was a good trip. :)
    Kate