1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Optical mouse problem

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by gbuck, Jun 9, 2007.

1. gbuck

gbuck Well-Known Member

I've recently had installed by a friend of mine (a university electronics lecturer) a Microsoft optical mouse and receiver (replacements for a wired mouse). If I am working but inactive for a few minutes when I return to reposition the pointer, or whatever, to recommence work if I accidentally move the mouse sideways instead of forward or backward, and no matter what program I am running, the latter is instantly terminated and I am returned to the desktop. This has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the last 3 weeks (once during a defrag) and I have lost work as a result. The optical receiver (Microsoft V2.0) is wired and not connected via USB. Any helpful suggestions would be extremely welcome. My installer friend's suggestions have failed to overcome the problem to date.

2. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I always uninstall then reinstall a couple of times before I give up :D
    My optical receiver is wired to the USB so don't have any problems - please explain how yours communicates with the computer.

Chris

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I suspect he means by a jolly old PS2 port.

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Oh, well there's no hope then :(

Chris - just joking :D

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

What surface is the mouse being used on?

6. derkit

derkit Well-Known Member

I agree with that - I have user I support that work on mouse mats designed for balled-mice and the surface was refracting the light from the base of the mouse - change it to another mouse mat or try a piece of simple A4 white copier paper seems to prove whats wrong.

7. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I'm on jeans at the mo and all works fine :rolleyes:

Chris - perhaps if I changed to a named brand, it might work even better! ;)

8. derkit

derkit Well-Known Member

To prove that any surface can work - I used the back of someone's head before as a surface :D

9. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

It's a fair question. Some mice are definitely mat sensitive.

I have a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse with my laptop that performs brilliantly on a decent mat, but is crap on many of surfaces that I often use (the arm of my recliner for example).

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Now that is worrying, a mouse with teeth, well one anyway. :D

11. gbuck

gbuck Well-Known Member

Many, many thanks guys for all suggestions. The mouse optical receiver is wired to a PS2. My mouse mat was acquired as a freebie from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (fco.gov.uk - the legend printed on it) and No, it wasn't lifted from a desk as I passed through! I'll change it immediately and try a few alternatives. Apologies for not responding sooner - been up scaffolding with a mastic gun repairing the ravages of winter; then of course had to watch Lewis Hamilton winning in Canada - what a fabulously cool head - and only 21.

12. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Check your mouse set-up (Control Panel or maybe special program or something sitting in the system tray). Does it have extra buttons on it? I am wondering whether you are either touching a button somewhere when you move it to the side or, for strange rason I cannot think of, the mouse is configured to send an Alt-F4 sequence to the computer when moved sideways from sleep mode. See this post on the web for clues.

You can also try contacting Microsoft as it is their product, or your supplier, as I assume that it is new and under warranty.

13. gbuck

gbuck Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the further suggestions. Yep, the mouse is only 3 months old so waranty still operative. First thing a.m. must spend time investigating further. Thanks, too, for the versiontracker link. Very useful.

14. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Is the software of the Optical Mice up to date? Often there is an up to date software on-line compare to the one on the supplied CD.

Just a thought...