1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions required for new equipment purchase

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by ejvphoto, Jun 4, 2017.

1. ejvphoto

ejvphoto New Member

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum, so please bear with my question. :)

I want to get into food photography, and am looking at investing in a full frame body and lenses. My budget allows me the following two choices:
    1. Sony A7ii, Zeiss Loxia 2/50, Sony 90mm FE macro.
    2. Sony A7ii, Metabones Nikon F to Sony E adapter, Zeiss Milvus 2/50M ZF.2, Tokina 100mm macro D.
    I already own an entry level Nikon camera, though it is not a determining factor for my FF purchase as manual focus lenses do not work well with my current camera anyway. Which is also why I'm not looking to buy a FF camera with OVF.

Which of the two options do you think would be a better buy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Good luck but it is not the easiest branch of photography to "get into"

3. ejvphoto

ejvphoto New Member

Hi RogerMac, I am a trained and practising cook, so I'm already versed with food prep, styling, props, lighting etc.

I guess my question relates more to the ease of using adapted vs native - manual lenses on the Sony FE mount, which adapters are most recommended for Nikon lenses, and whether people have experienced any loss of IQ due to these adapters.

Cheers!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not my field and I guess it depends on the nature of the food ( teaspoon to banquet). I'd check on suitability of Nikon on the Sony - I believe nikon have a relatively small throat to the lens mount - whether that matters or not I don't know. Second, do you need shift and tilt to get depth of field for food? If yes then that might dictate your overall choice.

5. ejvphoto

ejvphoto New Member

Hi PeteRob, thank you for your comment. I do plan to purchase a tilt-shift lens in the distant future, but only if I am able to justify it (which means I start making decent money off food photography). Nikon's 85mm PC-E lens has the added advantage of a 1:2 max magnification, which would be great for food, but it costs $2000 a piece and would make the setup very bulky. Sony on the other hand does not have an option for a tilt-shift lens, but their bodies have focus peaking and IBIS, and the setup would be light and easy to carry while doing on-site shoots. Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

All I know about the Sony is the initial interest in it from landscape photographers used to sticking digital backs on field cameras. Almost anything can be attached to it with an adaptor including tilt-shift lenses. I think metabones may have a tilt-shift mount but you may have to put a large format lens on it which will make anything 35 mm look like peanuts in cost.