1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops, I did it again!

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Mar 30, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

One thing that has been missing from my collection for a long while is a TLR.

Well, it's still missing, but yesterday I bought something that looks the part so I can pretend. A bakelite Voigtlander Brillant (no buckshee 2nd "I") like this:http://mattsclassiccameras.com/tlr-box/voigtlander-brilliant-v6/

Like the one in the article it's got a f4.5 Skopar lens, though focussing could be a giraffe as the focus marks are almost illegible, and a Compur with speeds to 1/300th. I'm guessing it's probably just pre-WW2.

Probably paid a bit much, but as I'll be fundraising for the charity concerned once the cricket season starts I figure I'm not too upset.

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I keep looking out for an affordable TLR since I do find them easy to handle. I used to work part-time for a photo studio back in the late 70's who used very upmarket Rolleiflex TLR's with Carl Zeiss lenses. Oh wow dribble and what I'd give to own one of those now.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Can be either according to this site.

The basis for the Lubitel!

S

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. gray1720

Well, here it is! Apart from the faded lettering round the lens (including the focus marks...), it's in pretty good nick. The shutter speeds are a bt slow jusdging by the slowest ones, but that's par for an eighty0-odd year old Compur. I won't know until I put a film in if the film counter works as it should. As I understand it, you set the counter to 1 with the red window, and from there on it stops automatically. Presumably if it doesn't work, I can just use the red window?

Now I just need to finish a few films (I only have another four on the go at the mo...) to have an excuse to try this - I'm assuming the Skopar lens is similar to tthe later, coated, four-elephant Color-Skopar, so should be quite sharp.

A couple of really neat touches - there's a little door on the side that opens to reveal two holders for a filter and the special extinction meter (both sadly AWOL), and there's a ridiculously comprehensive depth of field table on the side of the viewfinder hood. I like the way it goes up to f3.5/4, when my lens is f4.5 - obviously one size fits all!

Adrian

! IMG_5313ed.jpg
    IMG_5315ed.jpg IMG_5316ed.jpg

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Some of them are fitted with the lowly f7.7 voigtar and three speed shutter. I had one in the late 40's I think I can find a couple of shots taken with it.

6. gray1720

Ooh yes, I'd like to see those if you can find them, please!

Adrian

7. steveandthedogs

8. gray1720

I did wonder what you were on about, but just put it down to insanity as usual. :p Must have a poke through that - it seems that the only makes I have more of than Voigtlanders are Kodak and Oly (though if you count Zeiss Jena as Zeiss Ikon I also have five of those, and five Coronets as well).

Just to be awkward mine appears to have the pre-war name badge, but the shutter matches the 1947 model. No doubt a product of the total lack of standardisation that seems to have been the norm!

Adrian

9. steveandthedogs

What I do best.

Doubtless they had misplaced some bits during that disagreement with the neighbours and only found them again when it was over.

S

10. gray1720

11. David Traynor

David Traynor Member

I bought a "HOBIFLEX" TLR around 7 years ago. I've never used it because I didn't have any 120 film and was using 35mm in my more usable and interesting cameras. It has "LAUSAR" viewing and taking lenses. Wonder if that is a hint about the quality of the image to be expected.

12. gray1720

Well, I'd never heard of that and had to google it. The lenses are apparently anastigmatic - which doesn't mean very high spec by the 1950s so you may be right.

Adrian