1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of those days....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Feb 14, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

On my work days I get up at 6am and out of the house for 0630. Gives me time to shower, feed the cats, a quick cup of coffee and maybe a slice of toast. I have it down to a fine art.

I have a beard, generally kept relatively short and have had it for 3 years or so. I let it get longish then use my beard trimmer to take it back to a number 4 or so when it gets untidy, so every couple of weeks. I went to bed last night put my trimmer onto charge for a trim this morning. I decided this morning to put it on a number 3. I trimmed the right side of my face and as I was about to start my chin the trimmer snagged the hair and stopped. Tried again, same thing. Took the head off and could see that a plastic lug had broken inside and was not immediately fixable, if at all. So here I am with half of my head with an unkempt longish beard and part of one side short. I looked a bugger. Nothing else I could do other than shave it all off. Now that is no easy feat with a blade. It certainly took some hacking. It was more brushing it than cutting. Eventually finished. Face like a baby’s bum.
    It is now approaching 0630, go down, feed the cats, no time to drink a coffee so made one to go with my nespresso which has a milk frothing unit attached. Set that off whilst I gave kotaro more food. I had forgot to move the milk spout out so the hot milk is on the worktop and not in the cup. Bollocks. Now need to clean. Leave the house 20 mins late, head off down the M6 to Stafford. M6 is closed between 14 and 13. Luckily google found me a relatively quick alternate route. My colleague who I’m working with is not so lucky. She was further behind on the M6 and is expected to arrive, according to her Google Maps, at around 10 am. Looks like I’ll have a large class to myself initially.

How is your day?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    peterba likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Better than yours! ;)

dream_police likes this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Incidentally, my most frequently recurring 'nightmare' involves a similar beard disaster - accidental chop leading to full removal. Thoughts and prayers with you today my friend.

dream_police likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

How familiar that sounds! At least problems such as these are (usually) of less importance once you've stopped working... ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

The worst that happened to me was oversleeping on the day of a vitally important meeting. I grabbed my overcoat, it was deep midwinter, and just made it to the meeting. Only then did I find that I had no jacket. Later in the day I also found that I was wearing odd shoes.

MickLL

peterba likes this.
  6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Not too bad today, the consultant and the boss who make my life Hell are both off so work is pleasant

peterba likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I had to pull over in a passing place for a car coming the other way....twice! It was rush hour though.:rolleyes:

peterba and Catriona like this.
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Done my nails, done my hair, done my teeth. No disasters yet.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Done the ironing while herself goes off for the weekly shopping. It's a hard life... ;)

peterba likes this.
  10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Currently taking a break from three straight hours of analysing data on spreadsheets.- when I close my eyes I can still see the bloody things! A quick shufti at what's been posted on the forums followed by making a brew and then back to the coal-face for me!

Cheers, Jeff

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just been removing a 4 day old afterbirth from a cow, when I heard my arm length glove pop.

Enjoy your lunch:confused:

12. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's not a competition...but if it was, I think you win!

Cheers, Jeff

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Definitely not the best feeling I imagine.
    Hope the coo beastie is ok.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Taking a quick break from pruning the hawthorne trees that were once a hedge. They are threaded with climbing roses of a vicious disposition but which must not be harmed. The hawthorne has to be capped at 3 m as an, utter nonsense, insurance condition following some subsidence. The roses love that height.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Not a great day. This morning Frances and I spent 45 minutes in a meeting with a very nice lady from the French equivalent of the Department of Stealth and Total Obscurity (or whatever the DHSS is called now), then this afternoon Frances spent 45 minutes on the phone to the UK trying to get us new S1 forms for our health care. No-one could tell us what is going to happen after Brexit (if it happens) because, as the French lady pointed out, the English don't know what they want or how to achieve it.

I know we're not supposed to disparage Brexiters but it's hard not to conclude that the vast majority fall into one or more of the following categories: stupid, parochial, arrogant, rich enough not to care, completely lacking in empathy, xenophobic, ignorant and prone to magical thinking. Few if any Brexit supporters are able to point to a single example of how Brexit will benefit them personally or the country as a whole, or how staying in the EU would do them any harm, whereas there are hundreds of thousands like me in continental Europe, and hundreds of thousands of continental Europeans in the UK, who can already point to how their lives have already been adversely affected by the prospective theft of our rights as EU citizens. What excuse have Brexiters? None. They whine and snivel that Remainers are beastly to them but cannot point to any advantage of Brexit.

Cheers (not exactly the right word but it'll do),

R.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Right at the start of Brexit, Britain made clear that they would offer little or no change for Europeans in Britain, but would expect the same consideration for Brits in Europe. The response was "Nothing is settled until everything is settled".
    You may might find interesting a very sensible article written by John Sergeant, former BBC pollitical correspond and ITN's political editor, at different times. The article is in Radio Times 16-22 Feb. I cannot find a comprehensive précis online. Publications like the Wail, and their opponents, quote very selectively with their expected biases.
    It does include one serious reason why many rational people voted Brexit.
    I am not attempting to Précis it myself because it is already very tightly written and I am incapable of doing so.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would coppice the lot and interplant the gaps with hawthorne plus a small number of other species for variety. You will not harm either the hawthorne or roses by coppicing. Both will respond with vigorous growth from the base. Just be careful that your tree preservation officer is aware of what you are doing if any of your trees really are big. They are likely to be helpful if you are genuinely wanting to restore a hedge.
    Edit. If this is likely to get ignorant neighbours excited then certainly involve tree poreservtion officer, and put up a modest notice that states what you are doing. A hawthorne hedge is not a hedge if it consists of a line of trees full of straggly roses.

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Should have done that years ago but we liked having the trees rather than an even hedge, but not doing it now, they are due to start building 1400 houses in the fields behind.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

Can you link to it?

Also, ONE reason for looks a bit thin next to all the reasons against.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  20. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member