1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Once upon a time...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

...there was a boy named Atavar, who was handed-down a Pentax P30. Atavar loved his P30, and spent all of his pocket money on film and processing. But one day nasty educationalists destroyed his love for photographic capture, and he stopped taking pictures with his P30, and stopped taking pictures all together. Many years passed, and he came back to taking pictures, but with a different brand, and there was much darkness in the land (but that's ok, he used High ISO to counter that.)

One day, a long time later, Pentax bought out the Q. Atavar liked the look of this camera, but however hard he might try, he could not get his hands on one. He ventured near to a camera show, which Pentax did not attend, he ventured far to Focus On Imaging, and also found their presence lacking and bought a GF3 instead. Years passed, but the Q never left his thoughts. Then, shortly after a national camera chain went bust and then arose from the ashes, he thought "In for a penny, in for a pound" (or words to that effect, but closer to "nuts" and "to this") and he did order a Q from off of the internet...

It arrived, and it was good. Atavar was a Pentax shooter once more, and for his first picture exploited its manual settings to take a picture of his toes with nothing more than its kit 8.5mm lens and a light in the bedroom ceiling to take a picture of his toes.

[​IMG]

Looking upon his work he was pleased with the lack of photoshoppery, and lived happily ever after.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the story of how i cam back to the Pentax fold after an absence of only 14 years.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

You must have a very bright light in your bedroom! :)

Lovely story - the style gave me a smile!

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Pretty toes

Cheers,

jack

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ughh, that's gross. Feet are to me, as a Rhode Island Red is to RM

5. Done_rundleCams

A great story, A_V_T, :) and, if ya get a chance to do the firmware upgrade ... you should/will be impressed by the improved focusing :) I was having a fiddle
    with my 06 lens last night and this morning and, WOW .... tray :cool:.

Cheers and glad to have you back in the family :D

jack

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Magic little camera.

And as Jack says, warp speed focussing in anything other than pitch black.

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Cheers for the welcome :) it's a lovely little machine, will be upgrading the 'ware as soon as I've tracked down my laptop, misplaced it since getting quite tablet, it rarely gets a look in now :-/

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Looking at my camera firmware, it is 1.00, I take it I'll be seeing more than an affordable speed improvement? ;)

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think they've included MR* or CB* technology in the thing, it focusses almost before you know you want to take the shot.

* MR - Mind-Reading

* CB - Crystal-Ball

10. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Now THIS is what I call a 'REAL PENTAX' a 1960's SV but glad you came back to the fold !
    [​IMG]
    Pentax SV by pentaxpete, on Flickr

11. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, PeteE, I have one too. It is an engineering masterpiece. (Pentax SV).

12. Done_rundleCams

Pete and David,

A nice camera ...but, come on lads, you know the Pentax MX Black Body was the true pentax film camera ;)

Jack

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

No, it has to be the Z1-p. Just about the Bee's Knees. Trouble is, when I use if sometimes for trannies, I can't stop myself looking at the back!! :D and there is nothing there......

Oh, what a big viewfinder you have Mr. Z.......

14. Done_rundleCams

Yep, I gotta admit David, that for AF .. Z1-p or the PZ-1, of which I had four(4) :D
    But, I would still like me MX ... simply cuz if I don't need a battery to operate the camera :) Of course, the pics/exposures might be crap but I can still shoot 'em :D

Cheers,

Jack