1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On1 RAW converter.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I expect you will have seen that On1 are releasing a brand new RAW converter this Autumn. Well it looks pretty good from the publicity and the sample videos, so I Emailed them to ask if the K-1 was on the list. This was the reply:

'Thank you for using ON1! Yes, we will be supporting this camera model with the release of Photo RAW. Please visit the link below for all information regarding current and future RAW file support:'

However I further questioned them about the Pixel Shift with movement correction. They replied that they will not be supporting this feature at all.

With Adobe only partially supporting this in Lightroom 6, without the motion correction feature, it leaves us with only Silkypix, which I find obscure and difficult. Is there some kind of a 'down' on Pentax within the industry, or is it that they think there are not going to be enough K-1's sold to make it worth their while?

All a bit frustrating. Perhaps we should be leaning on Ricoh a bit harder to make Silkypix easier to use. I would even consider buying a better version to help offset development costs, but it should be in their favour to encourage more sales if they made a better product available. Who is going to consider seriously buying a K-1 for studio or certain landscape use if this persists?

Nikon did this with Capture One, which they gave away in a lesser version with the option of buying the full version. However, since Google bought Capture One, Nikon it seems may have fallen out with them and the situation is less than desireable as I understand it. According to a friend who is a Nikon user, Nikon users upgrading cameras may no longer have the benefit of the control point technology.

What do you think on it? I suppose if you are not considering the K-1 it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Maybe Pentax/Ricoh haven't made the codecs required for Pixel Shift openly available to other software developers becuase there's an agreement with Silypix's makers Ichikawa to provide a custom version of the RAW development software exclusive to Pentax. To the best of my knowledge Ichikawa have no connection with Ricoh - they certainly provide custom versions of Silkypix to Panasonic.

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Good point, but there must be an agreement then with Adobe, because the pixel shift without movement correction is, I understand, supported in Lightroom 6 ACR. I must admit, I have yet to try that. The process of taking four images and combining them in camera creates large files apparently. I think it may be the file size that is the problem, but I may be wrong on that. I wonder if Silkypix could be made more user friendly? Is there a Silkypix for Dummies? Could do with that.