1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OM-D E-M1iii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by SXH, Jan 3, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not exactly cheap is it? Not that I would expect it to be, B&H are showing it at $2,999 body only. Nothing on their site about size or weight though.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

According to the Olympus site (under the Specifications tab):
    Height: 146.8mm
    Width: 144.4mm
    Depth: 75.4mm
    Weight: 997g (including battery and memory card), 849g (body only)

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The supposedly full spec has been released by a rumour site and they are VERY impressive.. Seven stops stabilisation for example.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That makes it about 10mm less high and wide than my D4 but much thinner. Compared to the Z6 and Z7 it is quite a bit larger or in other words a big body for a 4/3 sensor along the same lines as the Panasonic. Probably an ideal size for many in therms of size and weight.

5. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm a sufferer of continuing back problems resulting from Canon EOS 5 sydrome and L Glass :D

PeatSmoke and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And £2800 in this country. From Wex, that is. There IS a £200 trade in bonus until early march...

Or you could check out the actual full specs on the Olympus site (link provided earlier).

Mind you on the subject of IS, from the Olympus spec:
    An extra half stop by turning the in-body IS off?

RogerMac likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Because I always use it with the 100-400 I keep it on shutter priority and auto-ISO. Without looking at the EXIF data I couldn't say how high it goes in practice but I'm happy with shots taken in poor light. Of course my expectations may well be quite different from yours: I will always sacrifice technical quality to get the image I want.

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011130.JPG

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Bit of a lack of evidence regarding the ' doesn't hold up in terms of overall image quality [in low light}' statement. If a reviewer is going to make a comment like that he should at least post an image to show it.

It does seem likely that higher ISOs will lag a bit behind larger sensors though, I know my Panny G3 is nowhere near as good at ISO3200+ as my D7000...

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There's a rather hyperbolic hands-on first-look on Steve Huff's site.

I think he likes it. And him a Leica man! ;)

11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Dear God! That is far too great a burden for one man alone... :D :D :D

Attached Files:

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Camera Size have the OM D-EM1X for comparison on their site, compared to a full frame camera it isn't much smaller. You can select the cameras to compare but for obvious reasons I chose a Nikon https://camerasize.com/compare/#243,812 that is a lot of camera for a small sensor. Now obviously there will be those who are already M4/3 users who will find it the ideal size but will it attract users from other brands? I think it is an attractive proposition but I still remember what Olympus did with the original OM system and even this won't attract me back.

13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

+1 on that, Andrew.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I suppose I am in the target market for this new offering but in spite of the incredible spec I am not fully convinced that it's for me. Perhaps I will get more enthusiastic after a price drop.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've just seen this review, containing a video which is a lot more detailed than others I have encountered. Improvements I was really pleased to see, were to the menuing system which can be customised to show just what you regularly wish to use. At long last, the On/Off switch is on the L/hand side, at the back under your thumb, rather than on the top-plate.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1x/olympus-e-m1xA.HTM

I'm impressed!

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I tend to think Pentax, Leica, Panasonic, Sony and Nikon have the right idea with the switch around the shutter button. However Olympus have at least put it somewhere accessible, now if they could standardise on where it is that would help.