1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OM-D E-M1iii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by SXH, Jan 3, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, that's what it looks like to me.

Unless they're intending to p!ss off current users by going FF on us.

Not that I could afford it either way - I'm still using an E-M10 mark 1!

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

They don't have a good track record when it comes dropping products in favour of a new toy...:rolleyes:

Looks a chunky camera, at least as big as the Panny G9 so it could still be m4/3. As far as I'm aware they haven't signed up to the Leica/Sigma/Panasonic club but I guess that doesn't mean they haven't decided to go off on a full frame adventure of their own.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If it's as good as the G9 it'll be worth a look. M43 has reached a level where I wouldn't go back to FF.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry but there is no link in your post as far as I can see. Ah, it is hidden in the word "it" which I missed seeing as a link.

7. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a link in your post. Looks a bit of a beast!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Don't your browsers show the link as a different colour? Stands out fairly clearly (mid-blue as opposed to black) in Firefox on my machine.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes but two letters on a 13" screen made it easy to miss, I saw it easily enough on the 15" MacBook Pro knowing there was a link to find. I think I might have used the word "this" and increased the chances of the link being visible.

I still think it looks a beast of a camera for a 4/3 sensor.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, I have a 19" widescreen Lenovo All-In-One, which helps.

As for the Olympus, yeah, it looks big, but there haven't been any rumours about them going FF.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nikon denied they were even considering FF then they brought out the D3. As I said earlier, Olympus have form, they ditched the original OM system, or at least the accessories, without actually announcing anything.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well no, they absolutely did not. What they said was that they had no plans to release one - which was absolutely true at the time of the statement - the release plans had not been formulated. They were very careful and precise in their language, and most people misread what they said.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You are, as usual, correct Nick. Doesn’t mean that silence from Olympus couldn’t be covering a change of format but we shall see.

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Ten years or so Oly took out patents for a Triad camera that used three separate sensors for RGB sections of the image. If that ever comes to maturity it would be a bit of a breast but should give better than FF quality via FT lenses

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good typo Roger!

Lindsay Pennell and RogerMac like this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I get the impression that this new model seems to be for 'Professionals' - whatever that means - and since Olympus's code name for it is apparently the '1M010' but there's also the product name E-M1 X being bandied about. It certainly looks a bit bigger, so maybe this is so that multiple processors, significantly more internal memory can be employed for things like speeding up the cameras internal image processing and more buffering for multiple single shots. A bulkier camera body, offering a more ergonomically laid out set of controls might also make it more 'attractive' to professionals?

As for the idea of a FF Olympus, one has to take into account that the FF Panasonic came about because of Leica's FF lenses, yet so far we have never encountered Olympus bodies being sold with Leitz lens on them?

I think I remember it being said somewhere (fairly recently) by Olympus that it is more interested in the Stills rather than Video end of the market that Panasonic is pretty well regarded in.

All of the above leads me to wonder if Olympus still have yet to announce the E-M1 mk3, but thinking way back, there wasn't a E-2 or E-4 .....

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All this punditry about what manufacturers will introduce is just so much hot air. They'll make what they think they can sell. Unless you have a relationship with a member of the production management your opinions will only be proven by random chance. :rolleyes:

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A second 'Teaser Trailer' has been released...

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I still think it looks big