1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OM-1 Original : Foam renewal

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by PeteE, Oct 5, 2017.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I have a question about my newly 'Gifted' original OM-1 -- I have renewed the foam strips along the film back and door BUT I could not see if there was a Foam 'Mirror Bumper' or not. There is a black metal thing hanging down in the way -- i can see where the screen is changed. Is there supposed to be 'Mirror Bumper Foam Strip' ???

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. graham_mouat

graham_mouat Well-Known Member

Some time ago I found the advice below from John Hermanson , who is a well-know Olympus repair technician in the US (his website is http://www.zuiko.com/)

"OM-1's (chrome) were produced with prism foam up to approximate serial number of about 1,110,000. Above that number (and continuing to where the 1N chrome started) they were produced without prism foam. MANY old OM-1 bodies show deteriorated prism foam by dark green or black blotches in the viewfinder. Once a blotch shows up, it means the old foam has turned to goo and eaten through the paint and aluminium coating on the prism. The only real fix is to replace the prism. OM-1 Black were also made with prism foam up to the same serial number. Unfortunately, ALL 1N bodies were made WITH prism foam. Hope this helps!

EVERY 1N and 2N has prism foam, and to avoid problems, it should be removed. Plain OM-1 chrome above 1,110,000 were made withOUT foam. Around 1,630,00, the plain OM-1 became the 1N, made WITH prism foam. Plain OM-2 chrome above 500,000 have no prism foam. Around 600,000 it became the 2N. Serial number ranges are approximate. John"

In my OM1's there are also small foam bumpers on either side of the prism, beside the focusing screen, which I replaced. Hope that helps.

Graham

4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

WoW !! What a lot of useful info -- I found a 'Serial Number' on the baseplate of my 'Gift' OM-1 it is 1,616,512 so i may be lucky and it has NO Prism Foam !
    I had a look in Mirror Box with a Torch ( 'Flashlight' for you Americans -- but it does not 'Flash' -- it stays on all the time !! ) -- I could see the small foam pads and strips by the Mirror . Although looking a bit 'flat' they do not seem to have 'Gone to The Goo' stage SO FAR !
    I have done a VIDEO about my OM-1 now -- you can see it HERE :

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Your videos are infectious Pete. Keep em coming :)

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Classic camera, brings back memories.