1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus pen lite 5 - any good?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Blurred Image, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

Hello everyone, I'm looking at getting back into photography but cheaply at first. If I don't go the Nikon/Canon DSLR route I might get what I believe is a CSC. There's this secondhand in my local camera shop for £160 or so.

What is it like to use? Could it be a cheap way for me to learn about photography? Or should I just go down the DSLR route straight away?

TBH I'm really kind of asking if this is a decent camera worth the money? I'll certainly haggle on price but is it a good camera?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You mentioned the "Pen Lite 5" in another post by which I think you mean the E-PL5. I'm quite fond of mine. Be aware that if you decide you want eye level viewing you'll need a VF-2 or VF-4. These go for around £100 - £150 at the moment though I have seen them cheaper. The reason I like mine so much is the tilting screen that allows me to keep verticals (mostly) vertical at the time of taking and also allows candid pictures without the subjects noticing me..

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P2280005.JPG

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P8080017.JPG

3. Blurred Image

Blurred Image Active Member

As far as I can tell on a phone screen they look good image quality. It might be a better option that or a camera like it.

I can't remember the exact model code only that it had pen lite and the number 5 on the top. It's likely to be as you mentioned.

One thing I'm compelled to say about those images, and I'm not trying to offend or be hyper critical, but the "tower" part of the building looks like it's not straight at the highlighted corner.

I've got an almost obsessive eye for levels. I think I got it from my dad. I can't create things level or vertical myself but I can spot a fraction of a degree out.

Makes me a nightmare looking at shelves ppl put up. I'll argue the toss about a shelf being out and the installer will get the level out and I'm proven right, the bubble is half out of the two lines or even less.

Sorry for being Obsessive, compulsive about it. I can't help myself.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

It is quite a bit out, but only because it is tilted up. It corrects easily and there is no barrelling.

For more of an SLR feel with a CSC, I'd try to stretch to an EM-10 or EM-5 I think. I have both Pen F and E-M1 and E-M1 is better balanced with the heavier Pro lenses and longer zooms. Pen is great with the Pen lenses.