1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Pen cameras - our hands on review

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I also use a planer thicknesser these days, but I still pass the hand plane over it to get that final finish.
    Automation is fine when it does what you want, but the best results are only on offer to those that know what they are doing. ( I have never use "P") as it does not lend itself to you taking over.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It does on an EOS...

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Then I have not explored it enough on mine...

But I am not sure I want to.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Your loss. It makes it very much easier to be ready for anything. My camera is ALWAYS set to P so as to be ready, I only switch away from that when I have time to linger. That actually means most shots are taken on aperture priority, but the dial spends more hours set on P.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

and Sony, hence my mention of "thumb wheel".

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think it probably does on most DSLRs, but there's still a lot of ignorance about it - which is absurd, really. I've been operating in this way for close to 20 years now, so it's not exactly something new - choose between couples of aperture/shutter speed with the front wheel, dial in exposure compensation with the back if necessary. The only setting difference between reading out and applying the result of an external meter and using manual mode being the increased speed - ideal for those who know what they're doing, just want to do it quicker, and I've always argued that it makes you consider the settings more than manual match needle metering ever did, where there was a grave danger of just centering the needle without actually considering if the settings were correct.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

So many cameras and so many years and the old memory not what it was but I think the first camera I had with Progam mode was a Contax 159mm back in about 1985. Well actually it had three program modes "P", "HP" and "LP". Of course worked a bit differently than today but the idea was similar. As you said "nothing new"

On my Sony a900 there are two wheels than can be set to control any of a number of functions. I have set mine for the rear to move the "P" settings through the range and the front to change exposure compensation. I think that's the reverse of yours?

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looks like P mode varies greatly between makers. :)

I tend to find I use M, Tv, & Av mode in that order of frequency.

Might have taken a few shots on P.

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well ... you are sort of, but I'll take the blame for not phrasing it better.

There are three main approaches to street photography to my mind (posters will no doubt come up with more!):
    1. Obvious, up front, especially when out'n'bout with a 10x8 or 5x4, perhaps asking people to pose
    2. Quietly going about your business but obvious about it, and
    3. Very quietly and unobtrusive.

I have used all three, but never all three on the same day with the same kit, but sometimes twice in the day with the same or different kit.

I have been using Approach no. 2 and appropriate kit on occasion and have got into an encounter and switched to Approach no. 1, by asking someone to pose.

At other times, I have specifically asked for permission to shoot - am obviously not using No.3 Approach there! - and, having got the intro going, have used it to open up photographic possibilities. {Whether the expanding list of pics taken then fits your definition of 'street photography' is an extra debate. All I wanted when this started was a Pen with an opti-zoom finder built in ... :- ( ... !}

At other times, I have been positively covert, on subway trains for example: that is more of the extreme end of the No.3 Approach!

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If you think that Tom is biased in favour of Nikon check out the comments on his July 13th post