1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus Pen cameras - our hands on review

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If the AF speed is anywhere near the claims it is going to be a lovely new system.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The announcement is very encouraging. I suspect that I will not be in a hurry to buy the camera. The two new lenses are very tempting indeed. With those and my existing Panasonic 17mm, I would use my EP-2 far more. They would form a nice little system that would be more appropriate than a DSLR in many situations.
    I would have preferred a built in evf rather than the flash. I suppose that Oly are targetting compact uses 'sizing up' more than DSLR uses who are downsizing so the lack of a viewfinder will not be important to many potential buyers. Also it was probably easier to add the flash without making the body thicker compared to adding an evf. The use of a thin oled screen and the claimed improvements in AF speed are very welcome.

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Blimey these CSCs are coming out every other week these days (well it seems like it). :)

G3
    NEX-C3
    GF3
    Q

Have I missed any out?

Now this.

As for the AF claims I thought speed was not the only issue with contrast based systems.

There is the low light trouble you can sometimes get. I presum they have improved that part of the system as well.

5. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

I've seen a patent for the new Oly AF on another site, it seems it incorporates some type of IR sensor, so I wonder if this will improve low light performance?

I find that my Panasonic GH1 copes quite well in all conditions, my Oly E-P1 is a bit slower, but it's good enough really. Obviously any improvements are a bonus!

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

If memory serves Olympus made a similar claim for the E-3, with similar requirement for continuous AF mode (and only certain lenses amongst the range). I guess the moot point is does anyone notice any difference above a certain AF speed.

7. RogerMac

There have been hints of another one in September;) As far as the AF goes on my E-P1 I would welcome more speed but have never felt that AF in low light was a problem - certainly down to exposures of about 2 secs it can almost always fix focus. I believe that having in body IS helps greatly when focussing off the sensor.

8. RogerMac

Speaking from memory myself I think that the "fastest AF" claim for the E5 was for S-AF, however I can not detect any difference between the two types of AF on my E5, both appear instantaneous. Yes it is only for certain lenses, basically the SWD ones, older ones, in particular the 50mm macro, need a learing curve to get the best focus speed.

Probably not but that perception limit was not reached on previous CDAF systems.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Try going backwards....some of my older gear feels slow once I've got used to the speed of new kit. I find I can take minor speed increases for granted and only appreciate them when they're not there.

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Oh woe! None of them have an optical viewfinder built in. Not everyone likes using a rear screen to compose and it has severe limitations in several situations.

Canon and Nikon will be delighted! Less competition.

11. RogerMac

Oly would say that if you want an optical viewfinder built in you need an E5 (I did want) If you are content with an EVF the built in version is coming maybee September, maybee next year.

Incidently according to Thom Hogan the company that is already hurting from the mirrorless advance is Canon, not Nikon "Canon, on the other hand, ought to be seeing real trouble in this year's numbers. They've only got two models (both KISS/Rebel) in the top 10, and command only a 16.3% share with those models. In other words, Nikon's consumer models continue to do decently, with only a bit of erosion from where they've traditionally been, but Canon appears to be losing ground to the mirrorless boys." and that's before these new offerings hit the market.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

With regards to naming the L in EPL has always stood for 'Lite.'

Toss up between the EPL3 and EPM-1 for me. Simple is best so as long as the controls are well implemented in the Mini it could be the most interesting for me. I'd love to see some pics of it with the 14, 17 and 20 mm lenses, side by side with the XZ-1and Q.

13. Learning

I hope that you are right about September. Your other comments re Canon were also of interest.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But to be taken with the hugest of pinches of salt, given Thom Hogan's position as Clown Prince of Nikon. ;)

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Must say this looks promising. I'll certainly be taking a close look at the top and bottom cameras, and the new primes.

16. Quite balanced don't you think?

Paul

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The 45/1.8 is the lens I've been calling for since the MFT system was launched. Ironic then that it's announced just as I'm seriously considering part ex'ing my GF1. Maybe I should hold off and wait until the EP3's video's been tested.

BrianT might be interested in the 12/2 lens too.

18. Learning

I certainly take Thom with as much a large pinch of salt as I should be taken. Also I take more snaps with my D300 than I do with my EP-2. I have stated in the past that buying an EP-2 was an expensive mistake; the new lenses are suggesting a U turn.
    Earlier in this thread I refered to a 17mm Panasonic; I should have said 20mm. I am sure that this did not cause any confusion.
    The important thing is that the recent announcement shows that Oly are commited to this format; they have reached a remarkably good specification with only the third version of the EP-n, and with the help of a Pany lens have now got the 3 basic primes needed for this system.

19. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Reasonably. What needs to be remembered about the Japanese market is their love of gadgetry, which is likely an important factor in the success of micro 4/3rds there (as well as the size factor). These cameras have, so far, had almost no impact in the US though.

20. Paul_Reading

Paul_Reading Well-Known Member

Technological advances are going to neuter the advantages of a large sensor. We don't NEED 5x4 cameras to take good photos and in the future you won't need full frame either. History will show that what originally looked like the wrong move by Olympus and Panasonic was in fact foresighted.

We will benefit from smaller and lighter cameras, in the long term, even Leica recognises this now.