1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus E system to go mirrorless

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, we haven't yet seen a camera with the Epson EVF introduced last October - I wonder what happened to it?

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I thought their bridge cameras are already mirrorless like the SP-570. But the other opinions expressed by Mr Pelkowski are off the mark. The future will probably be bridge cameras with low optical zoom and high pixel count well above 14MP. Because digital zoom is cleaner than optical anyday. Olympus have just made a big mistake with their new SP600 & SP800 by taking off the EVF. Make both camera unusable for airshow photography for a start. The back screen get washed out in bright light. I own a SP570 which has the EVF and it fits in my jacket pocket yet can shoot upto 520mm max zoom (35mm equiv). It only drawback is the AF is slow. But that is just a question of CPU speed and power (or CPU clock frequency). Hence the rise of Li-ion batteries in cameras.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oh my. Where to start with this?
    Bridge cameras - with any luck, this category will die out as a result of hybrid cameras. Horrible small, moisy sensors and nastily-compromised big zooms, they have the quality problems of compacts with the size issues of DSLRs - certainly hybrids offer a massive quality advantage at a similar body size, especially with higher pixel counts that smaller sensors really struggle with. It's no coincidence that AP's compact of the year had a lower pixel count than the model it replaced - nor that there isn't an AP bridge camera of the year, either.
    Digital zoom - offers massively inferior quality to optical zoom.
    AF speed - no, it's not just a matter of processing power, contrast detection is simply inherently slower. It can be quicker, but so can phase detection - there will always be a gap, the question is if it will matter.
    And battery technology and size is driven more by things like EVFs and display screens than by processing requirements.
    If bridge cameras are the future, I'll eat my hat.

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

And I'll join you for lunch.

If bridge cameras are the future, the future is somewhere I don't want to go.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

How about with a "Welcome to the forum!"? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ;)

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Nick didn't say it but I will, welcome.

Yes they are.

I very much hope you are wrong. Bridge cameras have small, noisy, overcrowded sensors.

Rubbish!!

Digital zoom works by discarding all the pixels that don't make up the bit of image you want. It could be argued that digital "zoom" isn't zoom at all but in-camera cropping. Optical zoom will ALWAYS out perform digital zoom.

No, it isn't "just" a question of CPU speed and power. It is a matter of focus system. Your bridge camera uses contrast detection AF DSLRs use phase detection AF which is much faster. If you look at an AP report on one of the DSLRs with live view you will find that the AF in live view is slower for this very reason.

LiIon batteries are the current technology and their rise has nothing to do with cameras and a lot to do with computers and mobile phones, both of which are power hungry in ways that cameras aren't.

LiIon batteries would be used in cameras even if they used less power simply because it is cheaper than any other battery technology for a given capacity and physical size. Lithium batteries have a very high power density meaning they can deliver a long life from a small package.

7. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

Surely there's a place for every type of camera? If Olympus go one way and Canon go another, that is good, it means more choice, more innovation and better cameras.

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No, it's black or white. You're either with us, or against us. There's no room for any middle ground here. :mad:

;)

9. I loved my Panasonic FZ20 Bridge Camera!

Brilliant little camera - Fantastic Zoom lens by Leica

Had to replace it with a D300 & D700 to get the lens range!

Paul

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I'm with the "more choice is better option"

It all reminds me of the countries in Gulliver's Travels who go to war over which end of an egg should be opened.

Personally I will look at the next Oly offering and if I like it then I will buy one, if not I will do what I did 30 years ago (when Canon dropped the FD mount) and just make my current model last - it will still continue to take excellent pictures

Roger

11. Roy5051

I prefer rangefinders myself

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is a restaurant in Arizona that would serve mine (hat that is) to any customer ordering their steak well done. Well actually they serve up an old boot but that spoils the story. So whilst I will be happy to join the party for lunch could we just share a straw hat?

Not that I think this particular lunch will happen because the hybrid will probably replace the bridge camera first.

13. Bone_Idle

Bone_Idle Well-Known Member

:D

As I thought! :D

Bit like rugby? ;)

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No, in Rugby there is League and there is nothing else. :D

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Did some one mention Rugby?

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sorry if I upset anyone. What I mean is that the centre ground is taken by the dSLR at this
    time and now there is a shift to 43 camera with EVFs. I think it will shift again toward
    fixed low zoom lens camera with 60MP sensors. Kodak did some research in the 1990s that
    determined that 6MP was enough resolution for most photographers. Pro wanted at least 25MP.
    Therefore with a 60MP sensor you can crop it to 6MP and still print upto 50cm x 76cm poster
    size. Hence digital zoom not optical. Therefore you could have a camera with a 16mm - 160mm
    zoom optical then the rest digital. Probably have around 1 million ISO so night time action
    shots possible. I used to have a battery of lenses and two camera bodies in the 20th Century.
    Since switching to a digital bridge/prosum camera I feel free and take loads more pictures
    because I can walk around for hours. I do have another camera which is a FZ50 again a bridge
    camera but it is as close to a dSLR as you can get without carrying lenses. Alot of the Lumix
    G1 seems to have been nicked from the FZ50. Hey it's just my opinion. But mirrors are on the
    way out EVF looks like the next change. Finally I found with a mirrorless system you can take
    handheld night shots right down to 1/3 of a second shutter speed.

lol

17. RogerMac

I make 50 by 76cm to be approximately A0.
    Do you have any evidence that any 6MP camera can reproduce sensibly on A0? seems a very strange assertion to me.

Roger

18. RogerMac

Just checked and its nearer A1, sorry, but my point remains - is there any evidence that 6MP will reproduce sensibly at this size?

Roger

19. Roy5051

I don't know about 6MP to A1, but I have printed pictures from a 2MP camera at A3 with no problem.

20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I am sorry but I can't see the point here.

If I have a 60MP sensor I will get more detail if I change the lenses and use all 60 than I will if I crop and only use 10% of the data. That assumes that a lens with the resolution to exploit 60MP on sensor small enough to be portable. Cropping from 60MP to 6MP will probably push the optics way beyond current limits. Image quality from 6MP of a 60MP sensor will be inferior to that achieved by using the appropriate lens on a 6MP sensor.

I agree that removing the mirror will reduce vibration and allow hand holding at slower shutter speeds. However, I would much rather have a good optical viewfinder than an EVF in low light. If the shutter speed becomes too low to hand hold I will put the camera away or use a tripod.

Sorry but I am just not convinced.