1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus E system to go mirrorless

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by Damien_Demolder, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

2. fed2

fed2 New Member

I hope they don't, is all. :D

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I feel that Olympus is right in its assesment but the quality of the EVA has to improve by several orders of magnitude for mirrorless systems to be acceptable as direct replacements for traditional dSLRs.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm with the 'why nots' - it is a designed for digital system after all. If the quality is there I don't have a problem with it. My film cameras won't lose their optical finders so I will continue to have a choice.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

There have been rumours for literally years (even an Oly patent) for sensors that would not fit into a standard mirror box when a mirror is also there. Perhaps it is at last about to happen (if 2 years can be counted at "about to")

Personally I look forward to it but would want to check out the AF speed.

Roger

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Irrelevant. I can put up without AF. I can put up without auto exposure. I can put up without a built-in meter. I cannot put up without a means of previewing the image which has a resolution at least equal to the final result. I do not want to have to hold the camera at arm's length. If I buy a camera I do not want to have to carry a computer as well to use as a viewfinder.

No optical viewfinder, no sale.

7. RogerMac

That seems rather a high hurdle "a means of previewing the image which has a resolution at least equal that seem by good eyesight" would appear to be a more sensible target

Roger

8. Chris4472

Chris4472 Active Member

Seconded. The man from Olympus is an idiot. No optical viewfinder, no company.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hmm, I suspect he's less an idiot than some others I could think of.

10. RogerMac

Seconded

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

From the link:
    I'm left thinking the guy may not have a clue what he's talking about so I'm not holding my breath that this will become reality. I'm treating it as speculation from somebody that works for Olympus but may not actually be a photographer or know anything we don't. Bigger sensors can, as most of us will know, have a bearing on how the final image looks; e.g., that Samsung modular camera with the 'big' sensor in the macro lens for better bokeh than you'd get from a 'small' sensor.

He may have just got some free advertising for his employer by winding up some journalists.

12. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Quite so. Has he seen any rangefinder lenses recently. If he'd said hugely complicated lenses with all sorts of electronic gubbins in them will make your lenses bigger he'd have a point. ;)

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Remember what happened to the last American who gave you an exclusive... [​IMG]

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

He sells consumer digital cameras for a living, so I'd take that as granted. Despite what many of us wish for, I can't see any manual focus simple lenses being made by an electronics giant.

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I think his summary is about right...
    However a 4/3 sensor has quite some way to go to be the equal of a 1.6 crop or full frame. There will come a time though, when it will be of a standard better than needed by even an enthusiast, even at high ISO speeds.

What he is saying is true, however two years seems a very short lead time.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Is he saying that there will only be an LCD screen, or will there still be an eyelevel finder, but it will be an EVF not a pentaprism? Not very clear from the writeup. If the quality of EVF's continue to improve, which I'm sure they will, I personally won't have a problem. I would imagine that a electronic viewfinder would cost significantly less to produce than a quality mirror system with pentaprism. If so that is the future like it or not.
    I also suspect that many are fearing their prized SLR systems are about to become obsolete when Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony redesign their lens mounts to accommodate what may be around the corner.

17. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Too right, but I do take comfort from the fact that I can fit my 35 year old Olympus OM lenses on a Micro 4x3 (if I had one).

18. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Provided the tech is up to scratch I see no real reason not to. My only slight worry is that if they make the E-system mirror-less, they'll be less reason to produce really nice optics or well specced bodies for the M4/3...

19. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

When Epson introduced its high resolution EVF last year, I said I wouldn't be surprised if the end of the optical viewfinder was the future of SLR-type cameras, to much derision from some fellow members of this forum.

The thin end of the wedge has appeared......who will be next?

I don't pretend that this will effect high-end cameras, like the 1DS and D3X, which will probably retain the mirror etc, but for consumer cameras this is likely to be the future.

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

ROFLMAO! Needs to be at least 4x the number of pixels in the image sensor (Nyquist theorem, oversampling).