1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympus - 100 Years

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by SXH, May 16, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Olympus have produced a short documentary...

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"We're offering happiness through our cameras"?

:confused:

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

what we are and what we were
    sums it up to a degree

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have some 11 years of memories captured with Olympus cameras, I might still be using them if they hadn't deserted their customers by discontinuing the accessories I needed. The cameras are probably still as good as were the OM system cameras. I wish them another 100 years but I won't be part of it.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

What were those? I deserted them when they failed miserably with AF, but went back 15 years later with 4/3.

6. RovingMike

Nice film, thanks for posting. Yes delivering happiness is typical corporate BS, which sounds so good when someone puts it on a ppt slide and presents it. I don't think there is any corporation around thet doesn't believe that about whatever they produce.

But making what you don't have is distinctive about Oly and very believable. They have always understood what it takes to make a virtue out of being a niche player.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

M15V Ni-Cd control packs and chargers I wanted two packs and a charger but they had been discontinued. That made my MD2s rather useless and thus made using my OM4s uncomfortable. I could have used the M18V Control grip but that wasn't what I wanted. I had an extensive kit but without the motor drives it wasn't really what I had bought into. Turned out an F4s was little bigger than an OM4, MD2 and M15V Ni-Cd control pack but required only 6 AA batteries.

8. RovingMike

Funny the things that make you switch. I left Canon when they went AF and changed the mount. Never had an MD in my life and only recently bought the battery grip for Oly, due to needing to do a big video shoot. Try to keep it all as light as possible.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can see that changing lens mount would make one rethink. The OM4 with MD2 was still light but the M18V control grip had to be removed to get the cameras into a bag and it was really inconvenient for portrait orientation.

For those unfamiliar with the control grip is was a pistol grip that stuck out of the bottom of the MD1 or MD2, the "trigger" was a shutter release. I am sure it was convenient with heavy telephoto lenses or when one hand operation was required but at other times it was just in the way. I can't find a decent picture unfortunately.

The OM system was brilliant but flawed, there were known problems with the film advance lever on the OM1, the back had latching problems due to wear, the OM4 had a propensity to eat SR44 batteries due to a circuit board fault, the stop screws on lenses would depart causing internal damage to any camera the affected lens was mounted on. Various pins on the Winder 2 would also detach rendering them unusable until repaired, one of them prevented the battery holder from locking in. The MD2 used a pair of SR44s too, purely for indication of the power rewind with the OM3 and OM4 and they lasted about a week.

In my 10 years of OM ownership I experienced all of those except the camera back locking one and I spotted the missing stop screw before it did any damage. I would have carried on with the system but the lack of power packs was the last straw.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

There is supposed to be a 3 day event in the USA starting today. There are rumours that the EM5 mk III was being launched but so far I've not seen anything on the web